I think all the shoegazers are about to go crazy...

Phil O'Keefe

• Members

F yeah! Having had extensive time with the Afterneath and the Levitation, I have nothing but high expectations for this.

Not entirely sure if it's possible, but if EQD came out with one or two more original takes on reverb I think they'd destroy with a multi-unit like the Alexander Oblivion! Then again, as individual pedals I'm more likely to tweak...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
now THIS is gonna make the shoegazers moist in their nether regions......

https://robertkeeley.com/products/loomer

It is really a powerful testament to the innovation of My Bloody Valentine that their music (20+ years ago) continues to inspire so many effect pedals and armies of disciples. Not even EVH can really make that specific claim.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Well, as a person who saw several shows on the Loveless tour (and have the hearing loss to show for it, thanks Kevin), with all due respect I don't think that 'genre' begins nor ends with MBV. There's a huge # of artists, starting in the mid-80's, who "played their effects" as much as their guitars.

The Cocteau Twins are a grand example, and a bit later Flying Saucer Attack. And about a hundred in between.

• Members
Well' date=' as a person who saw several shows on the [i']Loveless [/i]tour (and have the hearing loss to show for it, thanks Kevin), with all due respect I don't think that 'genre' begins nor ends with MBV. There's a huge # of artists, starting in the mid-80's, who "played their effects" as much as their guitars.

The Cocteau Twins are a grand example, and a bit later Flying Saucer Attack. And about a hundred in between.

You're right honestly, within the genre the MBV sound is actually kind of an anomaly. There are a lot more shoegaze bands that DONT sound similar to MBV than do.

• Members

Slowdive, Chapterhouse ... again, I am a huge MBV fan and there's a ton to love there, but it does seem a little revisionist when I hear people claim that they invented or somehow helped formed the genre. I'd suggest they hit the zenith, but others really went first. And yes, I was on board for "Isn't Anything" (still have the original CD) and was 'there' at the time.

Didn't mean to bog down and split hairs ... honestly, I love when people play FX a lot more than another sub-Stevie Ray solo.

• Members
I'd suggest they hit the zenith' date=' but others really went first. .[/quote']

The Cocteau Twins are a grand example

The shoegaze label has lost its meaning for me and has been stretched to encompass everything from Dreampop to Ambient to Britpop to Space Rock. Shoegaze IMO will always be MBV, RIDE, LUSH, Swervedriver, and Pale Saints. I like bands like Slowdive, Chapterhouse, and Curve, but somehow they aren't quite shoegaze to my definition. Shoegaze pulled from a common pool of influences including Cocteau Twins, Jesus & Mary Chain, Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr., Pixies, Husker Du, Spacemen 3, etc. Shoegaze at its best combined amphetamine drumming, slow droning squalls of white noise, and langorous half-awake vocals that carried simple but pretty melodic colors. The juxtaposition of sonic contradictions. I believe that MBV are most remembered for shoegaze because their sound was so strikingly unlike anything that came before it. The influences are in there, but they were melted down like lava and merged almost beyond recognition.

• Members
Hey seif' date=' good to see you! :wave:[/quote']

Hey, Phil and all. I lurk now and then. I got rid of 98% of my stuff, but I still love it and recently got an old Zoom Driver 5000, its forever a blast, so I keep coming back. I hope you and everyone are doing well.

• Members

Whats your guitar - board - amp looking like now, Seif?

Firebird/90s Roland SS Blues amp. No board. I played live with the fuzz and delay.

But i have

2 lofi loop junkies (still have em)

Roland Ad50 fuzz wah

Aria awh1 auto wah

Guyatone ps029 digital delay (my fave)

Zoom driver 5000 distortion

Just bought and sold another ps2

Byoc slow gear clone

The Everpresent Ebow

I play a lot of slide lately too

But I want another phaser soon. Im getting back in slowly. Maybe another delay..hmmm

But no more tape echoes. i gave the last one away, for free. I couldnt sell it, so I entrusted it to my friends band. I miss the sound of tape, but I move around too much. Maybe again in the near future.

Heres a show I did about 10 months ago

• Members

Fender & EHX - you wrote what I was trying to say. A lot of those artists are former colleagues/friends, and when I see younger people today discuss them I'm puzzled. Not upset or unhappy, just puzzled. For example, some kids on Reddit seemed to be under the impression that Damian Tutunjian and Sean Carmody were sitting around listening to Loveless and got all inspired. (note: just opened their wiki ... first line: "often compared to My Bloody Valentine").

I knew those folks back then, and would imagine that they were a lot more 'influenced' by what J. Mascis was doing than Kevin Shields. Which, really, I guess only matters to me and it looks like I'm pulling some "I was there!" stuff, which is not my intention. It's just really .... strange to me how it all gets rolled up now as "one scene." As another example, I'm not at all surprised Andy Bell joined Oasis (hardly shoegazers, there) nor was I that surprised that Kevin Shields popped up in Primal Scream.

It was about guitars, not flangers channeled through delays. Did you ever see a band named the Cords? Dutch, did some nifty / naughty things to guitars in the name of joyous noise.

Jeez, do I feel like I'm telling kids to get off my lawn. Maybe I should. GET OFF MY LAWN.

• Members

Firebird/90s Roland SS Blues amp. No board. I played live with the fuzz and delay.

But i have

2 lofi loop junkies (still have em)

Roland Ad50 fuzz wah

Aria awh1 auto wah

Guyatone ps029 digital delay (my fave)

Zoom driver 5000 distortion

Just bought and sold another ps2

Byoc slow gear clone

The Everpresent Ebow

I play a lot of slide lately too

But I want another phaser soon. Im getting back in slowly. Maybe another delay..hmmm

But no more tape echoes. i gave the last one away, for free. I couldnt sell it, so I entrusted it to my friends band. I miss the sound of tape, but I move around too much. Maybe again in the near future.

Heres a show I did about 10 months ago

Came here just to say hi to Seif. Been listening to a lot of my shoegaze/dreampop Spotify playlist lately, and SPC ECHO has come on a couple times, made me think of you. Good to see you posting.

I've been lurking here a couple times a week myself, more active over on a couple groups on FB. Miss this place tho... not just for the pedal talk, and shampoozie stories, but for the hints for new music to check out.

Oh...I built a thing.

30296000116_d17757407c_c.jpg

• Members

That is one gorgeous build. Im dreaming of an offset lately. Color is great too.

I get those reports now and then. Glad to hear people still listen to SE. Those early years were fun.

Came here just to say hi to Seif. Been listening to a lot of my shoegaze/dreampop Spotify playlist lately, and SPC ECHO has come on a couple times, made me think of you. Good to see you posting.

I've been lurking here a couple times a week myself, more active over on a couple groups on FB. Miss this place tho... not just for the pedal talk, and shampoozie stories, but for the hints for new music to check out.

Oh...I built a thing.

Oh...I built a thing.

Wow, that's really nice! Can you tell us more about it?

Good to see you too BTW! :wave:

• Members

Yeah it's good to be posting. So the build... well it's my first. Back in April I decided I I finally wanted to try and build and even though I wanted a purple body, ended winning a blue MJT body from ebay and a couple weeks later they had this Crown Royal Purple body listed and I couldn't help but bid on it. Original plan was to sell the blue body... not sure if I'm gonna stick with that or not.

Anyways... MJT Body in crown royal purple w/light aging. I'm typically not one for the aged look, but at least this was minor wear. I will say this about it though. 1) Much lighter in person then in the auction shots (the blue was the same way) and 2) That finish is THIN... definitely got some flakes going when I was doing install, particularly on the neck pocket.

Aurora Custom Shop neck, from eBay. Which is an AllParts CBS style strat neck. I got it because I really wanted the 7.25 radius (Allparts JM necks are 9.5), which is what is on my CIJ Jazzmaster. The aging was also done by Aurora custom shop. I opted for a set of aged Gotohs as well for $220 total. They were supposed to install the tuners for me (and it wasn't supposed to have the decal), but they goofed. Sent me the tuners and I installed on my own, and I'm kinda glad. Was fun. I still have the string tree to install too.

So for the electronics with the builds (if I keep the second)... the idea was to try and have variations on the JM theme for each guitar (including my existing CIJ) ... single coils, WRHB, maybe Filtertrons in one. It's just that you have to deal with pick guards for each, which means being sure of the color and then you've got to get one made and it's not as cheap, anyway.

So, a pair of Novak JMWR showed up on ebay for like $280 and it included both black and cream colors. Seems like used JMWR are hard to find so I jumped on it.

When I bought the blue body I got an aged AVRI white guard from MJT (paid too much for it in retrospect, but it was early on, i was antsy). I ended up getting a black AVRI style from Stratosphere on Ebay for like $10... that's going on the blue body and the pickup covers on that body will be white. This pickguard is an Aluminum Anodized ToneGuard one that I got used on Reverb for $80, which I think is like a $10-20 savings?

White knobs were from my CIJ (which I've put some cupcake style on). These have actually been taken off, and I've got black ones on there now, but I'm thinking about getting some brushed nickel tele style or something.

Bridge in this pic is my Mastery that i had on my CIJ. Currently I have the original CIJ bridge on it, because the Mastery pushes the E strings really close to the edges of the fretboard.

I bought a CIJ bridge, trem and trem bar on ebay for like $45. I'm having a hell of a time getting it to work. It just get's stuck. The one on my CIJ works just fine, but this one... oof. Not sure if I need to go in and try and do something with the knife edge pivot or what.. it's kinda rounded and not a very sharp edge. One day I'll replace anyway with something nice maybe. I'd love to have one of the Mastery ones, which would blend with the pickguard better, but the prices on those are ridiculous.

Pots, switches and wiring (other than the pickups) came all together as a pre-wired hardness from Sigler Music. At the moment the rhythm circuit doesn't work properly. The rotary knobs are not engaging on the pots, and the volume is actually stuck, theres no room for it to move in the pickguard hole. I need to try and reattach to get it working. When I put all that together I was just wanting to get playing it so bad i didn't care about getting the kinks worked out.

Here's some clips

[YOUTUBE]i2qPomhA7T0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]CYcoE5ZTHKg[/YOUTUBE]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived