Nels Cline's Goo!

• Members

Nice video, very creative and different from the usual pedal demo videos. Seems to be a nice OD with plenty of gain. The earlier part sound like some 'dumble-in-a-box' ODs I've heard, later bits sounded a bit clangy, I suppose because he's playing a Jazzmaster.

The name is better than some other pedal names, in a circle with names like Big Muff and Phat Phuk, it's pretty tame. Bonus points if the PCB is covered in shiny red potting compound.

• Members

Sounds like a pretty good pedal.

Nels uses pedal like they are another instrument. I have meet him a few times before.

a few buck shy of 3 bills.Not cheap, but what is these days.

Don't tell Nels, but I play more like Jay Bennett. :D

Get 2 of them and you can have gobs of goo.

• Members

Cool pedal. Nels gets great tones out of his pedals, so no surprise that it sounds great in the vid. With a limited production run and a price tag of almost $300, I'll probably not ever get a chance to try one. I'm pretty happy with my RAT anyway.

• Members

Phil, you devilish troll!

OK, let's do it. Here we go ....

:angry18:

Only in Williamsburg (or someplace near enough for those who can no longer afford it) would you see people shell out money to see Nels Cline peddle bits of Roy Montgomery's navel lint while gawping at Milkdrop fractals. Add a spotlight (... and he doesn't even cringe - probably his idea) for the full ego massage, and I smell FAKE ART. You know: the kind of bad idea that has to dress itself up to tell other people "see, here, this is ART, just in case you mistook it for a crummy sustained note ... keep looking at the lava lamps .... did we mention the signed, numbered lithographs available for $195 in the lobby?"

A certain level of pretension is acceptable, when there's something worthwhile attached. This is not it. I remember when he played with the Geraldine Fibbers and they were a rock band. Shucks, I remember when WIlco were a rock band; not a thesis topic for the plaid-bestowed, rent-paid-by-Westchester-parents, Civil War general lookalikes writing their Masters theses on Yankee, Hotel, Foxtrot.

There's one more teeny, tiny problem: the pedal sounds horrible.

OK, all done. :lol:

*********************************************************************************************************

May as well add a couple of notes:

* There was once a fantastic review of the first Cult album by Tristram Lozaw. He viewed the appropriation of Native American symbolism by the band and offered up a brief anecdote of how a plains tribe had, within their cosmogeny, a creature that represented a ghost warrior; when the warriors would open their mouth, out would stream excrement. Lozaw said something to the effect of "Ian Astbury is one such warrior" and wound up the review. (Btw, I don't agree, but .... sheesh. You have to tip your hat ...).

* Let's all take a moment to thank Everett True (I think? it's been 35 years ....) for the four-word review of Depeche Mode's "Just Can't Get Enough:" "I have; you will."

Archived