Your favorite type of dirt - overdrive, distortion, or fuzz?

Your favorite type of dirt - overdrive, distortion, or fuzz?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Your favorite type of dirt - overdrive, distortion, or fuzz?

• Overdrive rules
    • Distortion is where it's at
    • Fuzz is king
    • All of the above - you can never have too much dirt

Which is your favorite, and why?

Yeah, I know that "all of the above" is likely to be the most popular option, but let's see how the voting turns out... snax.gif

PS If your favorite is amp dirt, I'd call that "overdrive" and would vote accordingly and comment in a post, but of course, that's entirely up to you. :wave:

• Members

If have a lot of dirt on my pedalboard and have it dialed in for a lot of different sounds. From the Doobie Brothers to Black Label Society and a lot in between. For me though I've discovered that dirt alone just doesn't get you where you want to be and that too is from the Doobie Brothers to Black Label Society.

IMG_2415_zps6kvcreb5.jpg

• Members

Different tones (and pedals) for different stuff, I like variety. But, yes, probably 70% of the time I'm using a Tubescreamer (the TS-7 'ToneLok' version) for cruchy rhythm guitar stuff, and other times I use a RAT for cruchy power chords, but also use it for leads. I've got several home-built fuzz pedals, the one I'm currently using is a Germanium transistor Fuzz Face copy, it just love the way it sounds, I tend to like the gain all the way for sustaining lead tones.

If I ever get some extra pedal money, I'd like to buy a Fulltone Fulldrive 2, they pop up used for $80 or so, and can be bought brand new for a mere $120 - not bad at all for a US-made 'boutique' pedal. I know it's tweaked tubescreamer.

• Members

I'd have to say I like a fuzzy distortion the most - like a muff type pedal. For the music I like to dabble with - stoner rock/metal and doom - my Pharaoh is the go-to pedal. But when I need a bit more punch and focus I pair/mix it in parallel with my Small Fry.

But overall, I like all types of dirt pedal.

For me:

Fuzzy distortion - Pharaoh

Medium, focused distortion or heavy overdrive - Small Fry

All out fuzz madness - Fuzzy Master (clone of the Ace Tone FM-2 Fuzz Master - very similar to a Univox Super Fuzz, but a bit more gnarly with its upper-octave and ring modulation effect.

I guess the next thing for me to get will be a Tone Bender clone of sorts.

• Members

I had one of these come in yesterday and used it for several hours last night.

Its a very good Fulltone OCD clone that does a wonderful job producing overdrive tones.

This will work well getting those shades of grey half drive tones. I'll likely put it between my tube screamer and overdrive pedals as a medium drive pedal and it should stack well with others.

Tone wise this one has a good range on the tone knob and has a bright high end. I didn't notice any tone sucking or major dips or peaks in the tone response. In comparison a tube screamer has some high and low end roll off so it gets a mid bump when used. This one retains those frequencies.

The High Low switch will be useful for impedance matching or setting it for how hard you want the next pedal in line to be hit. It doesn't change the drive, and it doesn't attenuate it like am output pot would, it just steps the level down a few Db's.

Gain goes from clean on one extreme to a cranked TS in the middle to almost a distortion box gain on the high end. Run solo It will be great for rock chords and cranked for rock/blues leads. If combined with other drive pedals or even a compressor I can see it hitting some great lead tones while retaining some clean if needed. Great buy for $23

81GRIqyJ%2BvL._SY679_.jpg

I had one of these come in yesterday and used it for several hours last night.

Its a very good Fulltone OCD clone that does a wonderful job producing overdrive tones.

Do you happen to know which version of the OCD it cloned?

I absolutely love my V3 Fulltone OCD. It's one of my most used overdrive pedals. :philthumb:

• Members

I like a lot of distortion pedals.but you have to settle for one. i guess i'd say the boss ds-1 is the best. i have 3 distortions. boss adaptive distortion, boss power stack, and the DS-1. and i use a super overdrive for additional sustain.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived