New Offsets but the bad news is...

No pictures yet. :) I've asked Fender to send me some, so hopefully I'll have some up by tomorrow both here and in HC News. In the meantime, here's something to whet your interest...

__________________________________________________ _____

> NEW OFFSET GUITARS: Launching October 2016

> Mustang

> Since the ‘60s the Mustang model has been a popular model seen on stages and in studios and in the hands of trend-setting players ranging from Nirvana to The 1975. Upgraded features in the smaller-body guitar include two Mustang single-coil pickups in the bridge and neck positions, master volume/tone controls and a conventional three-way pickup switch. Other offerings include a 9.5”-radius maple fingerboard with 22 medium jumbo frets and a “C”-shaped maple neck, which is ideal for those payers with smaller hands. The six-saddle string-through-body hardtail Strat bridge features adjustable bent steel saddles to assist with perfecting intonation. The instrument’s 24” scale also adds warmth and thickness to the guitar’s tone.

>

> Mustang 90

> The Mustang 90 offers a distinctive take on a classic model with upgraded features, unique aesthetics and heavy Fender sound. Features include a pair of Mustang MP-90 pickups, master volume/tone controls, and a conventional three-way pickup switch. Topped by a 9.5”-radius maple fingerboard with 22 medium jumbo frets, the “C”-shaped maple neck is comfortable for all playing styles. The six-saddle string-through-body hardtail Strat bridge with bent steel saddles helps create spot-on intonation while the 24” scale adds warmth and thickness to the guitar’s tone. Designed with a smaller body, this guitar is a great fit for those with smaller frames and energetic stage performances.

>

> Mustang Bass PJ

> The updated version of the short-scale underground bass, adds the power of Fender’s venerable P Bass® and J Bass® pickups to the traditional Mustang design for flexible, heavy bass tone. The Mustang Bass PJ features master volume and tone controls, along with a conventional three-way pickup switch. The 30” scale and “C”-shaped maple neck with a 9.5”-radius make playing more comfortable for smaller-statured players. This bass’ smaller body is also great for energetic stage performances with its reduced-weight design.

>

> Duo-Sonic

> Since its debut in the ‘50s, the Duo-Sonic has become an underground sensation, helping to create alternative music in the New York City clubs. Now, with updated features, the guitar includes a pair of Duo-Sonic single-coil pickups in the bridge and neck positions, master volume/tone controls, and a three-way pickup switch. The 24” scale, 9.5”-radius maple fingerboard with 22 medium jumbo frets and the “C”-shaped maple neck are ideal for players with smaller hands. The six-saddle string-through-body hardtail Strat bridge with bent steel saddles increases sustain and enhances the upper harmonics. The body design is also smaller than traditional Fender size, making it comfortable for smaller players or those who have energetic stage performances.

>

> Duo-Sonic HS

> The Duo-Sonic HS is a modernized version of the classic instrument originally released in 1956. Offering one Duo-Sonic single-coil neck pickup and one Duo-Sonic humbucking bridge pickup with coil selection, this guitar has a crisp and pristine voice. The 24” scale length, 9.5”-radius maple fingerboard with 22 medium jumbo frets and the “C”-shaped maple neck are comfortable for all playing styles and ideal for players with smaller hands or those who use extended chord forms. The six-saddle string-through-body hardtail Strat bridge allows for increased sustain while the bent steel saddles add some punch to the players’ tone. The smaller body design is also ideal for smaller players or those who play an energetic stage performance.

__________________________________________________ _____

A reissue II series Duo Sonic? Be still my heart!!! :love: :love: :love:

Please, dear God, don't let it be too different from the old ones! :lol:

[video=youtube;sC75aU47GRk]

Waa Waa Waaa Waaaaaaaa :(

Not exactly what I was hoping for... they look like updated versions of the Squier Duo Sonic from a few years back, which are definitely not Duo Sonic II reissues like I was hoping for. Oh well... they still might be cool players. We'll see.

• Members
The new Mustang basses look so nice!

Haven't seen one but as always the proof is in the playing and the listening. I dismissed the Pawn Shop Mustang Bass on a basis of its ridiculous price alone and the tones I've heard in vids weren't very good to my ear. Once this stuff hits the used market, maybe . . .

Why is this thread in the "Effects and Processors" forum?

Because this is where the offset lovers have traditionally hung out... the Amp forum is traditionally where you'd find threads about pointy guitars, and the Electric Guitar forum has a bit of everything.

I imagine the new Fenders will be discussed over there too sooner or later. :)

• Members

The best modification I've ever experienced with a Mustang was a stock Mustang outfitted with a 24.75-inch scale neck. I do mean it made a significant difference in playability, tuning stability, and tone. Note that Fender used to make the Cyclone II, which was an excellent 3-pickup Mustang with a 24.75-inch scale neck.

In any case, Fender needs to do a FSR (factory special run) series, simply called the Twenty Four And Three Quarter Series. These should be:

• Mustang
  • Duo Sonic
  • Jaguar

...all with a standard hardware configuration, but with a 24.75-inch scale conversion neck installed instead of the standard 24.0-inch scale neck.

Fender could optionally reissue the Cyclone II as well with the others, thus making it ...

• Mustang
  • Duo Sonic
  • Jaguar
  • Cyclone II

Haven't seen one but as always the proof is in the playing and the listening. I dismissed the Pawn Shop Mustang Bass on a basis of its ridiculous price alone and the tones I've heard in vids weren't very good to my ear. Once this stuff hits the used market, maybe . . .

Word on the street is that the street price for a new Mustang PJ bass is going to be around $550. That seems quite reasonable to me, assuming it's up to typical MIM build and material quality levels.

• Members

Agree that $550 street is not bad for the bass.

30" is too short; why aren't people making more 32" scale basses? It's a nice compromise length.

The pics Travvy posted didn't excite me, and I am the target market. I don't know if it's plain jane-ness, the covered pole pieces (they've always annoyed me, I know: personal pref) and just a sense of .... not being as "solid" as I want to see?

FMIC's product development offerings in the past several years have greatly disappointed me. Not since the Vintage Modified offsets and Classic Vibe basses has anything excited me, and those are Squier lines.

I find the Ibanez Talman reissues more seductive than these .... too bad.

• Members
Word on the street is that the street price for a new Mustang PJ bass is going to be around $550 . That seems quite reasonable to me' date=' assuming it's up to typical MIM build and material quality levels.[/quote']

IIRC, the Pawn Shop Mustang Bass went for $800 or so. That was more expensive than a Mexi P- or J-Bass.

• Members
IIRC' date=' the Pawn Shop Mustang Bass went for $800 or so. That was more expensive than a Mexi P- or J-Bass.[/quote']

That was a MIJ Fender item, if I recall correctly -- thus the higher price due to the standard high level of build quality of instruments coming from Fender-Japan, as well as the limited-editon-ness of the Pawn Shop series.

Agree that $550 street is not bad for the bass.

30" is too short; why aren't people making more 32" scale basses? It's a nice compromise length.

My daughter still has my old early/mid-80s MIJ Squier P-Bass. It has a 32" scale length. They didn't make them for very long though.

• Members
That was a MIJ Fender item' date=' if I recall correctly -- thus the higher price due to the standard high level of build quality of instruments coming from Fender-Japan, as well as the limited-editon-ness of the Pawn Shop series.[/quote']

This review identifies it as MIM: http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/fender-pawn-shop-mustang-bass-573834. That said, I don't really care about the alleged "higher level of build quality" or the "limited-edition-ness" of the design. 8 Benjamins is simply too much IMHO.

• Members

This review identifies it as MIM: http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/fender-pawn-shop-mustang-bass-573834. That said, I don't really care about the alleged "higher level of build quality" or the "limited-edition-ness" of the design. 8 Benjamins is simply too much IMHO.

I think the MIM Pawn Shop series was on par with the Classic Player series, which generally go for $800 and are generally highly regarded.

• Members

What really bugs me is they don't do any affordable offsets for lefties. I'd love a Mustang, or Jazzmaster, but not enough to shell out close to a grand for one. If there was a 500.00 option I'd definitely bite. I know lefties are a smaller market, but they can't do a special run or something??!!! Leo would've done it.

• Members
I think the MIM Pawn Shop series was on par with the Classic Player series' date=' which generally go for $800 and are generally highly regarded.[/quote']

"Highly regarded" maybe but I'm with Trick Fall. $500 or so and I'd bite.

• Members
This review identifies it as MIM:

When the Pawn Shop series came out, I looked all of them over closely and test drove many of them as well -- even the ones with the silly bass-ackwards bodies.

They were all made very well, but I only had eyes on the '51 model (actually, the "revived" '51, which started life as a budget Squier about 6 years earlier and was stupidly discontinued a short time later). The reason they were all made well was because they were all Made In Japan.

So, apparently, there are now MIM versions of Pawn Shop series? I looked around the interwebz and saw a blurb about Fender Pawn Shop production being moved in the year 2013 to Ensenada -- where it remains three years later. After the move in 2013, the price was apparently dropped by $50 for the newer MIM versions.

• Members

So, apparently, there are now MIM versions of Pawn Shop series? I looked around the interwebz and saw a blurb about Fender Pawn Shop production being moved in the year 2013 to Ensenada -- where it remains three years later. After the move in 2013, the price was apparently dropped by $50 for the newer MIM versions.

The first year of production (2011) was done in Japan - the Mustang, PS '51, and PS '72. For 2012, Fender switched production to Mexico for the Mustang, Jaguarillo, Offset Special, Supersonic, and whatever basses they had. Then they were discontinued. I have a Jaguarillo that I like.

The first year of production (2011) was done in Japan - the Mustang, PS '51, and PS '72. For 2012, Fender switched production to Mexico for the Mustang, Jaguarillo, Offset Special, Supersonic, and whatever basses they had. Then they were discontinued. I have a Jaguarillo that I like.

I really liked the Jaguarillo - it's a cool guitar.

Archived