what solid state amp works well with multi effects/amp modeling?

mbengs1

In other words, he's suggesting running your modeller into a PA system or keyboard or bass amp - all of which typically have a wider frequency response bandwidth than your typical tube amp.

FWIW, I've never felt there was any advantage to running a Line 6 modeller into a solid state guitar amp vs a tube guitar amp. In both cases, the limiting factor isn't the amp so much as it is the limited bandwidth of the speaker it is connected to. Guitar amps (solid state and tube) typically roll everything above about 6kHz off.

If you're using a Pod in front of a guitar amp, my first recommendation would be to make sure you have the Pod's speaker simulation turned "off".

• Members

Modeling is for a flatter frequency amp source like when you record through an interface. If you have a newer pedal read your manual. Your Digitec you mentioned you had before has a line level/amp level switch. You have to switch it over to the amp setting when you plug into an amp and switch it to line level recording.

One thing for sure, you have to build different presets for an amp that are going to be different then the ones you use for recording. A guitar amp is designed to pump allot of midrange and lack highs and lows. I suspect you're setting up presets that sound good for recording and suck through the amp. That's expected. Neither the guitar speaker or the amp is high fidelity like your recording setup is.

Best advice, build separate presets for each and make sure you switch between line and amp levels. I believe the Digitec combines the Speaker emulation when you switch to line level. When you switch to amp mode it turns off that additional coloration that removes harshness in line level mode.

• Members

A typical guitar amp puts out a "flat" frequency response with the bass and treble at minimum and the midrange at maximum. At that point, the limiting factor is the speaker, which is also far from flat. A bass or keyboard amp would work if you have one handy since they tend to have a flatter response than a guitar amp. Again, though, you'd have to turn down the bass and treble and max the midrange.

• Members

Some amps do not take some pedals well. Some it's an eq search back on the amp and the pedal and finding what's sweet. Then again, once you've done that you may get to a venue and find that after all that work the acoustics of the room just flushed all you tuning work down the drain. I bought one multi-effects pedal years ago and out of all the presets it's one that works for me, lead tone. I can also use the wah on it but I have to put a Boss DS-1 after it for it to sound good. Of course it had flanger, phaser, etc. except I could never dial that into the other effect on the pedal I liked. So didn't do me any good. After that I just bought single pedals. I have the MFP but I just use it for the drum machine now to keep time when I'm learning music. In your case you pedal may work but it may just take some more soul searching to finally get there.

• Members

I have a Fender Stage 1000 SS amp that a friend gave me. I use it primarily as a loaner amp when people bring their amps to me for repair.

The Stage 1000 has a very noisy preamp and also has a pre-amp out power-amp in effects loop. I sometimes run a Boss ME-25 into the power-amp in and it sounds very good - better than using the Fender preamp.

The ME-25 has a speaker emulated headphone/line output which I use for recording and a regular output designed for guitar amps that I use to connect to the back of the Stage 1000.

• Members

I find that if you are going to use a good modeller it's almost better to just run it straight into a power amp, or like others have suggested into a PA. Also another good suggestion I saw is to run it through the FX loop of your amp. If I were to go back into modellers again, I'd probably just run them through a decent power amp into a good speaker cab.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

great. i use my multi effects for direct recording without any mic/cabinet modlelling however. i like the sound. i havent compared it with newer multieffects. mine is from 2001 and i think newer multi effects units sound even better these days when plugged straight into the recorder.

• Members

With the caveat that all of the above is not only seconded here, but more important, I can offer a couple quick thoughts:

- some amps will like your pod more than others. I have no Line6 experience, but ...

- my Roland JC-77 has comparatively less coloration than many other amps I've encountered. It's also just a great amp.

• Members

^^^ This is a regular 'noodle' rig for me in the living room. Sit on couch, tweak Boss GS-10 / Zoom G3 / iPad BIAS&etc. / what have you through the JC-77. It's a big room (26 ft. celing at peak) with hard surfaces (tile, wood) which lends itself to .... well, a lot of reflected sound! LOL! But in its way it's also a very 'honest' listening environment. I actually didn't really think as much of the modeling on the Boss until I played it through that amp in that room.

• Members

Have you ever tried one with a modeler feeding it?

I used to have a JC120. I ran a modeller into the stereo effects return but I could not get enough level into the amplifier to really push it.

I now have a Mustang IV which has a much more sensitive stereo effects return that is conveniently placed before the Master Volume control. I've run BIAS FX from my iPad into the Mustang and it works really well.

Archived