No announcement yet.

OD pedals in general.... Just an observation

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OD pedals in general.... Just an observation

Maybe it's just me but there is one thing I've noticed about many OD pedals that I don't care for. At least for my tastes, it seems that many models could benefit from designing the gain/drive circuits so it comes on more gradually and with less ultimate gain at maximum.
    All too often I find myself trying to find an acceptable level with the unit barely into its adjustment. At maximum the gain is so over the top I cannot imagine who would find it desirable. ( though I'm sure there are users)

Just my 2 cents

A&H GL2800 console, BagEnd Crystals over D-18's, 12"and 15" BagEnd and EAW wedges powered and processed by QSC, Klark, BSS, Symetrix, Valley, Sabine, Peavey and BagEnd INFRA.

You can fine tune with the guitar.
    Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

I've just never been one of those types of players who does a lot of knob twisting while playing. I understand what can be gained but it's simply distracting to me to rely on it. I prefer to set my tone controls to one setting that sounds great clean and then leave them alone. Everything else comes from the pedals.

I know there are other ways of doing it but I like things to be simple and straightforward

A&H GL2800 console, BagEnd Crystals over D-18's, 12"and 15" BagEnd and EAW wedges powered and processed by QSC, Klark, BSS, Symetrix, Valley, Sabine, Peavey and BagEnd INFRA.

Comment

I think it makes playing a guitar more intimate; more musical but more along what I was getting at is you have at your disposal, the guitar volume as a very precise fine tuner and picking dynamics. Set the former and OD gain; play.

Or this:

There's a slew of Tim Lerch Ethos demo. Best Dumble pedal out there IMO.

Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

Originally posted by 1001gear View Post
          You can fine tune with the guitar.
          Good point - try rolling down your guitar's volume knob a bit and then playing with your overdrive pedals.

Also, a lower-gain "transparent" overdrive pedal might be of interest to the OP - I'd recommend trying something like a Klon, Timmy or Soul Food.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Originally posted by Tomm Williams View Post
            I've just never been one of those types of players who does a lot of knob twisting while playing. I understand what can be gained but it's simply distracting to me to rely on it. I prefer to set my tone controls to one setting that sounds great clean and then leave them alone. Everything else comes from the pedals.

I know there are other ways of doing it but I like things to be simple and straightforward
            You can always put the "volume knob" into a pedal. Some volume pedals have minimum level controls that can be useful in this application, and then there's always pedals like this one:

Saturnworks Deluxe volume pedal

Put one of those in front of your overdrive (using a true bypass looper pedal would be ideal so you could turn both of them on and off simultaneously with a single button press) and you can attenuate it as much as you want.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

" I'd recommend trying something like a Klon"

https://soundcloud.com/danhedonia

Comment

Originally posted by Danhedonia View Post
                " I'd recommend trying something like a Klon"

I occasionally try to slip something in for those in the know...

- George Carlin

Comment

Some OD pedals will not match up with some amps. Have an EQ pedal in your chain and try adding or subtracting mids etc. to see if you can pull something out.
                  "These riffs were built to last a life time". Keith Richards

"All the women in the world want a phony rock star who plays guitar". John Cougar Mellencamp

"
                  If you're listening to a rock star in order to get your information on who to vote for, you're a bigger moron than they are." Alice Cooper

Comment

Originally posted by mikesr1963 View Post
                    Some OD pedals will not match up with some amps. Have an EQ pedal in your chain and try adding or subtracting mids etc. to see if you can pull something out.
                    That's an excellent suggestion Mike!

A good EQ pedal - even an inexpensive one like the Danelectro Fish & Chips - can be a powerful addition to any pedalboard. Try it both pre and post dirt for either emphasizing certain frequencies you want to grind up more (pre-dirt) or post-dirt for shaping the sound coming out of your dirt pedal.

Added benefit of going pre-dirt is you can use the EQ pedal's level control to attenuate the signal a bit too so that the OD distorts less quickly and not as heavily.

- George Carlin

Comment

I not a huge gain person most of the time, but I have used my fair share of OD boxes along the way.

Right now on my pedalboard is the Fulltone II and a Barber Tone Press, which can push your sound and doesn't have to be that all out distorted sound.
                      I have looked into getting a Janglebox, and it's on my list. Especially for my Rickenbackers.

It adds a bit of gain, some treble if you want it and some compression.

Something like the Boss CS3 which I have kicking around, can push the front end of an amp and give you some added gain and sustain.

Might be the tone, gain and sustain that the doctor ordered, but ya need to give it a try.

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

That's an excellent suggestion Mike!

A good EQ pedal - even an inexpensive one like the Danelectro Fish & Chips - can be a powerful addition to any pedalboard. Try it both pre and post dirt for either emphasizing certain frequencies you want to grind up more (pre-dirt) or post-dirt for shaping the sound coming out of your dirt pedal.

Added benefit of going pre-dirt is you can use the EQ pedal's level control to attenuate the signal a bit too so that the OD distorts less quickly and not as heavily.

I prefer EQ before overdrive. It's like additive synthesis whereas EQ post overdrive is more like subtractive synthesis. Both have their place but I just feel like I have more control in the 'additive' mode.

Of course these days it's easy to have both.
                        As a human being, you come with the whole range of inner possibilities
                        from the deepest hell to the highest states.

It is up to you which one you choose to explore

Comment

Boy is this a complex subject,
                          Last edited by bluesmann; 04-22-2016, 09:07 AM.
                          Guitars, pedals & Amps

Comment

Originally posted by bluesmann View Post
                            Boy is this a complex subject,
                            Yes it is... but I'd love to hear what your thoughts are on it.

- George Carlin

Comment

im interested in either a surh shiba overdrive reloaded or riot reloaded , or keeley luna overdrive.any recommendations , I play thru high gain amps . soldano and metaltornixs. any recomendations

Comment

Working...
                              X