I got to demo the new ZVEX Woolly Mammoth 7. Loved it, what a beast! What do you think?

italobrito

• Members

Hi, this is my first post here. I don't know if it's allowed to post demos created by ourselves but please let me know if it isn't. Just wanting to share

Regarding the demo, a friend does the music stuff and I do the camera/editing/co-production.

Anyway, the regular Woolly Mammoth 7 is already pretty iconic for being a very fat and nice sounding fuzz for both guitar and bass. With The 7 series, which did they before for the Fuzz Factory, here they added a 3-band EQ and the ability to switch it in and out of the signal, essentially creating two 'channels'. Both these channels sound very different, without the EQ you have a more linear, mid heavy fuzz, which sounds different even from the original Woolly Mammoth. With the EQ engaged (left footswitch), the voicing changes, a lot more bass is added to the signal and then you're in tone heaven with all the possibilities to sculpt it to what you want. I really wish more fuzz (and gain in general) pedals in the market offered 3-band EQs. The pinch knob allows you to add some nasal sounds, gating and artifacts but I love that you can dial it back and remain with a regular/smooth sounding fat fuzz, which is generally where I prefer to stay at.

I love me some fat fuzz, an EQD Hoof is currently on my board, this one completes the set. Also, the hand painted graphics are surprisingly well made once you see them in person. A lot of small details that I wasn't expecting to look as good as they do, and each pedal comes with color variations to keep each from more unique.

What do you think?

Archived