Pedal Power Supply Pin Sizes??

4stringer711

• Members

Hi. I have been using the Sabine NexFX tuning pedal for many years, but only on battery power. Recently I decided to use an external power supply. I have the Donner DPA-1 power supply for 5 pedals. There are no issues plugging in my other pedals, but the plug doesn't seem to fit the Sabine Tuner. It almost feels like the center pin on the Sabine Tuner is too large in diameter. The Sabine instructions say to only use the associated Sabine Power Supply. I didn't know if that was just a marketing tool or if the Sabine DC input was a unique size. It looks like both the power supply and the pedal are negative center configurations. I briefly considered getting a new tuner, but the one I have is very quiet and easy to see. Is there any type of adapter that will allow me to use a more "standard-sized" DC input? Thanks so much!!

• Members

Different pin sizes indicate the pedals designed for specific voltage, amperage, and possibly a different polarity. Do not attempt to use some adaptor unless you are dead sure these items are correct first.

In most cases I've seen, pin sizes are different voltages or currents.

The sabine power supply has a 2.5 mm Inside Barrel. Its voltage is Center negative

8 - 16 VDC @ 300 mA ---

The Sabine pedals are designed for their own multi pedal supply.

The wrong type of variable supply can cause a bad hum or smoke a pedal. Their power supply does say it will run non Sabine pedals so I'm guessing the reverse is true. You'd have to replace the connector for the proper 2.5mm type or you could try a battery clip adaptor which are available for many vintage pedals. Voodoo labs should have them. I know Spot One does. I've done this to many vintage pedals by cutting a slot for the wires from the bottom cover.

The adaptor used for Sabine pedals is actually 12V 500ma which accounts for the different adaptor size. I did a search and found most places don't sell them any more. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/sabine-nex-power-power-supply-for-nex-series

This is a big problem you have with pedals is when they come out with the specific power supply, you're screwed finding new replacements.

Since the pedal can handle up to 18V with an adaptor the 12V shouldn't hurt it, I suspect any good one with a negative center will work.

As WRGKMC said, you have to be concerned with DC / AC, polarity and voltage. Your tuner can handle a wide range of voltages, so you're good there. And it requires DC (which is what many, but not all pedals use), so that's good too - sending AC to a pedal that's designed for DC is a surefire way to fry it. And finally, you need supply enough amperage for the pedal's needs.

If the stock power supply is no longer available, what you're probably going to need to do is to solder a custom cable up for it so you can use it with something more universally available that supplies sufficient amperage, such as a 1Spot or Godlyke Powerall. The problem is that those are designed for pedals that use the standard "Boss style" 2.1mm plug; they do use the same center-negative wiring as your Sabine does though. In your shoes, I'd hunt down a 2.5mm plug, and solder it to the end of one of their cables, or to the end of one of your Donner cables, assuming the Donner has sufficient amperage to supply enough current to the pedals you already have connected to it PLUS the Sabine tuner.

• Members

You can buy a multi voltage - multi tipped wall wart. They make some where you can swap tips around and swap polarity.

I used one for a long time. They usually aren't the cleanest DC power however. You may get some hum using it on say a boss pedal that requires a zero hum adaptor. A tuner pedal isn't used for amplifying or shaping the guitar signal so It may work OK.

3929812.jpg

It would be easier to just buy the right adaptor. Parts express sells one here for $8. You have to buy the 2.5MM plug below as well. Again the adaptors are reversible so you want to be sure you connect it for a negative center.

http://www.parts-express.com/12-vdc-500ma-ac-adapter--120-045?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla

• Members

Shouldn't. A tuner doesn't do anything to the chain. It simply taps the signal and registers its tuning. There is no output from the tuner circuit itself, at least with most pedals. The input to output jacks are straight through. Some have a switch to short the output for silent tuning. My big Sabine rack tuner does have the ability to produce an audible tone like a organ notes for tuning by ear. In a case like that, hum might affect the tone generator or buffers. Most floor pedals don't have any signal amplification or buffers at all. Maybe a boss pedal would. They seem to stick 1:1 buffers in all their pedals and they don't use true bypass. The pedals have to be powered to pass a signal. Just about all others I've seen will pass a signal whether they are plugged in or not so the tuner simply taps the signal and wouldn't/shouldn't induce hum.

Wouldn't that put hum into the rest of the chain?

It would depend on whether or not the tuner was inline with the rest of the signal chain when it was not being used. I use an ABY to route signal to my tuner while simultaneously killing the signal to the amp, so it wouldn't matter in my rig, but if you have a tuner with a buffered output (Boss TU-2, Korg DT-10, etc.) that mutes the signal automatically when tuning and run it inline with the rest of your pedals and merely bypass it when you're not tuning, it might add noise that would be audible through your amp.

• Members
Hi. I have been using the Sabine NexFX tuning pedal for many years' date=' but only on battery power. Recently I decided to use an external power supply. I have the Donner DPA-1 power supply for 5 pedals. There are no issues plugging in my other pedals, but the plug doesn't seem to fit the Sabine Tuner. It almost feels like the center pin on the [b']Sabine Tuner is too large in diameter[/b]. The Sabine instructions say to only use the associated Sabine Power Supply. I didn't know if that was just a marketing tool or if the Sabine DC input was a unique size. It looks like both the power supply and the pedal are negative center configurations. I briefly considered getting a new tuner, but the one I have is very quiet and easy to see. Is there any type of adapter that will allow me to use a more "standard-sized" DC input? Thanks so much!!

Sabine had to be different.

I think they are out of biz too

pl7fjppsrnifqbgwov2h.jpg

The good news. Let's just say you love the Sabine tuner and it has served you will through the years, you will absolutely love a new Boss, a new Peterson or a TC Electronic PolyTune. With the exception of the Peterson, who make a killer tuner by the way, the Boss and Polytune are 99 bucks, or less

They will plug right into your Voodoo Pedal Power II, with the standard power cables that came with it.

Quiet as it gets too, the new ones are.

You thank me down the road.

Sometimes MF has 15% off orders too, if they don't hit em up for it anyway, They are usually good for it.

• Members

Sabine is still in business, have been for decades. They were mostly into making high end stuff, Rack tuners and Feedback eliminators and such. I have both and they are high quality durable gear. I don't think they are still making guitar pedals any more though. The adaptor plug thing is a sure way of failing to get a product off the ground.

Ibanez was another. They had a positive center for the adaptor back in the beginning and people were constantly blowing them up using a normal adaptor. Alesis rack units are another ball buster. They're not only AC, but you have to find just the right ratings and even then the units may hum.

Anyone coming out with pedals today really should stick with the standard -9vdc center unless the pedals requires more juice. Adaptors go bad and finding oddball replacements can be tough to find when the pedals discontinued.

• Members
Sabine is still in business, have been for decades. They were mostly into making high end stuff, Rack tuners and Feedback eliminators and such. I have both and they are high quality durable gear. I don't think they are still making guitar pedals any more though. The adaptor plug thing is a sure way of failing to get a product off the ground.

Ibanez was another. They had a positive center for the adaptor back in the beginning and people were constantly blowing them up using a normal adaptor. Alesis rack units are another ball buster. They're not only AC, but you have to find just the right ratings and even then the units may hum.

Anyone coming out with pedals today really should stick with the standard -9vdc center unless the pedals requires more juice. Adaptors go bad and finding oddball replacements can be tough to find when the pedals discontinued.

I believe Sabine sold out to a company called Clean One in 2014, and Sabine named Thorvin Electronics as a new Canadian distributor in 2009.

I think this is right

Looks like they still make a feedback eliminator

http://livedesignonline.com/blog/sabine-names-thorvin-electronics-new-canadian-distributor

http://www.clearone.com/

• Members

Thanks for all the responses. Since everything is -9v center I found a 2.5mm to 2.1mm adapter. For about $4.50 including shipping everything is powered up and working. Many of the other tuners I looked at for under $50 had reviews that there was a "clicking" sound not just from the switch but also in the audio signal. In the short term I didn't want to switch to something new. I will continue to look into better products, and now having found this forum will help. If any one else has run into this situation and finds this thread I wanted to post my solution.

http://www.showmecables.com/product/dc-power-adapter-2.5mm-Plug%20to-2.1mm-Jack.aspx

If there are any adverse effects or other updates I will post them here so someone else can benefit. Have a great 2016 to everyone.

Archived