New BYOC mini-pedal kits

Phil O'Keefe

I'll tell you something else about them -- I won't be attempting a third one. The subminiature resistors are hard to deal with' date=' especially for me and my big ham-hands.[/quote']

I have small hands and short fingers, but they're not particularly thin, so I don't know if I'd struggle with the small resistors or not.

What I've found to be the biggest challenge insofar as electronics as I get older is seeing what I'm doing. In order to get around that, I bought one of those lighted magnifying BYOC Helping Hands units. I don't use the helping hands part of it, which is frankly a bit fidgety and hard to keep stable once you put much weight on it, but the magnifier, along with an external Panavise to hold the work really helps me to see what I'm doing, and makes it much easier - especially as I get older and my close distance vision gets worse.

• Members

A few reasons: they are assuming you aren't socketing the IC's -- I always socket them, which adds height. You also have to be able to clip the legs of every component REALLY close to the underside of the board -- TOO close. I think those 2 reasons are why I'm struggling to fit them. There's no room for any extra thickness with those. The PCB's are, I'm sure, just fine. There's just no wiggle room, literally and figuratively.

Aah, I think I get it now - it's more an issue of depth than length or width. That makes sense now that I think about it a bit.

I like to socket ICs too - it's safer than soldering them and makes swapping them easier... but I guess that might not be a realistic option with these pedal kits. Thanks for the warning!

• Members

I figured out what the issue was, particularly with my 2nd mini pedal build, and it had little to do with the IC sockets, etc. per above -- I believe the side jack holes were drilled a few mm's too high on the enclosure, because the jacks are acting as a fulcrum to the underside of the circuit board. So, once installed, the jacks were pointing ever so slightly upward, almost like a soft apex.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived