The reigning king of phase shifters?

Phil O'Keefe

• Members

I just read that off the front page. The option to route A into B would probably do the deed I was asking about in my multi-LFO thread. Buuuut, seeing the price tag, and considering my recent addiction to all the Strymon Mobius clips, I think the multi-effect is next on my list.

Nevertheless, thanks for the review! Despite seeing the name everywhere, I never knew exactly what the BiPhase was. Gotta go look for pics now.

Edit: Ha, you already told me about it. Thanks!... darn Republicans debates, takin up my time.

I just read that off the front page. The option to route A into B would probably do the deed I was asking about in my multi-LFO thread. Buuuut, seeing the price tag, and considering my recent addiction to all the Strymon Mobius clips, I think the multi-effect is next on my list.

Nevertheless, thanks for the review! Despite seeing the name everywhere, I never knew exactly what the BiPhase was. Gotta go look for pics now.

Edit: Ha, you already told me about it. Thanks!... darn Republicans debates, takin up my time.

Hiwatt Bob has (or at least had) one and did a video...

[video=youtube;wYUPH69I8wc]

• Members

My favourite was the old Roland Phase Five.

maxresdefault.jpg

I was really into the guitar through a Leslie sound and used one of these between an 335 and a SF Pro Reverb. It would accelerate and decelerate between the slow and fast speeds. When I upgraded to rack mount delays with modulation I canabalized the pedal and used the case to build a switch box for changing channels on my amp and controlling effects.

• Members

"jorhay1 | November 12, 2015 at 6:35 pm

One thing not mentioned in the review is the S/N Ratio.

While sounding iconic, the original was really noisy.

How does the Pi-Phase compare? Is it relatively quiet?"

Ctrl-F brought me to this and I wanna know too, Phil! And thanks as always for your in-depth reviews. :wave:

As far as the noise level of the Pi-Phase, it seemed noticeably lower than what you'll find on most old Bi-Phase units. Is part of that due to the smaller case and different component layout and wire routing? I suspect so, but can't say for certain. It can also be due to old components in those old units, and poor calibration, so without a freshly calibrated and re-capped Bi-Phase to put up next to it for direct comparisons and tests, I really can't say with any certainty.

Have a listen to the clips at the bottom of the review. They're a fair and accurate representation of the sound of the pedal. Does the noise seem to be a significant issue to you on any of the clips? It really never struck me as a serious issue, but YMMV.

• Members

I agree, the Pi-Phase Mk2 exhibiting reduced noise compared to its dated counterpart shouldn't be too surprising. It is always my first thought when presented with a new take on a classic design, however oddly specific it may seem to focus on that one attribute. Listening through all samples on my AT headphones, any noise I'm hearing is more noticeable from the recording chain and/or the instrument itself. The guitar samples have noise that goes up and down with the modulation, but that sounds like good old single coil sustain. So no real issues, just an effect that does its job when fed a signal. Pretty cut and dry!

Now a shoutout to Mike at Prophecy Sound for being incredibly responsive. He confirmed some suspicions of mine (that the mods would be a PITA) and gave some informative insight. Sorry if my questions seem mundane but hopefully putting this out there is of some use. With his permission to share, here's our exchange:

~~~

"Hey, just curious if you have made any improvements on the S/N ratio, purposefully, for the Pi-Phase Mk2 over the Mu-Tron Bi-Phase, or if there inherently is any improvement for some other reason."

"Using modern SMD parts, as compared to the carbon comp resistors etc in the original BiPhase, 'automatically' results in lower noise; these days the construction materials are better in many ways of those from 40 years ago. Also, the smaller size of the parts means less radiated noise and hash; plus our PCB layout guy has lots of experience, and really did a good job routing the layout for minimum noise. So, to answer your query, all we did was what is 'standard' in terms of modern manufacturing with parts selection and layout; we haven't measured noise levels, but I'd be extremely surprised if noise levels weren't lower in the Pi-Phase than the Bi-Phase. A number of customers also use the Pi-Phase for outboard processing, and if there were any issues with noise that would be when it shows up (as compared to the 'busy' noise environment of a live gig, say); we haven't had any negative comments so far in this regard.

One point - it's not obvious even if you look inside, but we retained the through-hole photocell / LED coupling of the original design, as this is the 'heart' of the circuit and a critical part of the sound and 'response'."

~~~

"Also, would it be possible to mod the Pi-Phase Mk2 to add a clean blend? Perhaps a different one for each channel?"

"Umm ... well, all mods are 'possible' given enough money, time and patience! Sorry to say, though, we haven't developed a clean blend mod for the Pi-Phase and are unlikely to; the compact layout and parts arrangement doesn't really lend itself to this mod, I'm afraid. It wouldn't be time or money-efficient to do this even as a one-off."

~~~

"On the soundcloud samples, particularly the sample titled "Pi-Phase mk2 - guitar, mono, single channel with square modulation", there is a faint pop when engaging the effect. Would you call that a symptom of true bypass, or is there some other cause for it?"

"Yeah, there can be some slight variability between units in terms of how quiet the true-bypass switching is. We currently use a 3PDT footswitch, and invariably some are quieter or louder than others. I've never tested a pedal I would judge as being anywhere close to unusable or annoying though, in this aspect; if I did, I'd send it back to have the footswitches replaced. I guess I feel that, on the whole, it's still better to live with perhaps a faint pop sometimes, on some stages, in some circumstances, than have a non-true-bypass pedal like the original. Of course there are trade-offs with all such choices, the hope is most people agree with the approach we've taken."

~~~

"Lastly, any suggestions on softening the midrange without having to dial down the feedback? I wonder if, in addition to clean blends, maybe there's room for an FX loop for inclusion of a corrective EQ."

"Sorry, as per my previous answer the compact size of the pedal doesn't readily lend itself to any extra mods. I suppose it might be possible to hack in a relatively simple filter for the mid-range, but then the circuit and sound wouldn't be as close to the original. This could also be solvable with external EQ (live) if you found the sound not to your liking, or you could use of course some extra software processing - say - if utilising the pedal for recording."

My very first phase shifter was a Small Stone. I liked the basic sound of it, but it was replaced fairly quickly - I don't like the fact it doesn't have any kind of depth or feedback control. For that reason, I always thought the Bad Stone was the better EHX phaser... YMMV, but IMO comparing either with a Bi-Phase or Pi-Phase is really no contest - they can do a ton of things that are impossible with the EHX phasers. A closer comparison would be to something like a Polyphase, but even that's a different kind of beast.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

One of my favorite Phasers is the Boss RPH 10. I collected several of these mini rack units over the years. The Phaser has 3 main settings/types of phases. Settings 1&2 are mild and medium types you find with most pedals. You can do a good job copying other pedals with the various parameters. #3 can produce a really deep Mutron like phase effect. Of course its no where near as versatile but it's good enough for most situations.

$_1.JPG

I'm not sure how many phase shifters I have - I have several, and I'd have to go count them or sit and try to remember everything... I do have both a Boss PH-1r and a Lovetone Doppelganger on my board ATM - but that Pi-Phase is definitely on my GAS short list. It's an exceptionally versatile and amazing sounding phase shifter!

• Members

I'm still really happy with Pigtronix's flagship EP-1. Not just because I designed it [i did casing, gfx, etc.] but because I can have a nice slow phaser going and trigger the envelope independently for some really chewy tones. The trigger input allows for so many tones - I particularly like running it to a bass drum mic and using that to trigger when playing bass.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31699368[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31699369[/ATTACH]

• Members
I haven't really spent any time with that one Verne - and I didn't realize you had a hand in designing it! Very cool! Sounds like it has a ton of outside the box' date=' yet still interesting and useful features. :philthumb:[/quote']

It's basically 2 pedals in a single chassis - a Mutron and Univibe. The trigger in allows for some very cool side-chaining. I split my guitar signal to run clean into the trigger and effected through the audio jacks so it's not trying to trigger off a mushy signal.

Mine also has the Marv-mod, which lets me run both Mutron and Univibe simultaneously. That way I get a nice, slow phase swirl yet the envelope is still triggering off the dynamics of my playing.

I did all the initial Pigtronix packaging/branding from the spelling of the name right down to the launch booth and press release. This was their flagship product and I'm so glad it got them off to a great start!

Archived