Random Power Pop for Phil

Trick Fall

• 1 month later...

Here you go Phil. One of my favorite power pop bands from the early 90's. Enjoy!

Classic powerpop! :philthumb: There was a nice little renewing of interest in the genre in the early 90s, wasn't there? Too bad it didn't really take off... but there was some good powerpop stuff released in that decade IMO.

A few examples:

• Members

I am a huge fan of Power Pop Rock.

I actually played in an originals power pop band back in the day.

That's another story I guess.

Fountains of Wayne, The Cars, and so many others. I also dig the Madchester scene from the late 80's to the early 90's.

Here's a couple of my picks, not mentioned

I believe Tommy Keene is still around and actively gigging

• Members

I have plenty of rejection letters from record companies, include one for Geffen, CBS and a many others Geffen said they signed a couple of bands that sounded like the band I played in. One band was called The Posies, and another up and coming act, some guys that called themselves Nirvana. I was who the hell are these bands.

I ordered both cd's from a local shop here in the area. We didn't sound anything like Nirvana, but had a little bit of the Posies happening.

I did it all with the other guitarist for 5 years, from PR, to booking shows, song writing, record studio bookings, 1 LP and 1 ep cassette. I got burnt out not from working, but from listening to the bass players and drummer piss and moan about money or lack of making money. I had a part time jobs to fund a bit of it all and any money we would make would get pumped back into the biz. We never had to reach in our pockets for recording, or van rentals, or PR stuff. The other guy had a fulltime job. The drummer was in the process of getting married, and the bass player was in the process of knocking up his girlfriend. Both are divorced now with a bunch of kids.

Even if you don't have a cd out you need to sell stuff at shows. Some folks will not pay 5 bucks for a cd, but will shell out 20 bucks on a tee shirt. I love them people.

The sad part is nobody would have worked harder to make this a reality.

I even remember every person at the record labels I spent time with on the phone or had meet.

I ended up walking out of a rehearsal one day and then regrouped with another drummer, and I took over on some of the bass duties as a 3 piece. We never sounded better or fresher.

My grandmother would try to hand me money every week when I went to see her, and tell me to get a nice hair cut. She also would send me away with a home cooked meal.

Some other people would tell me to get a real job. I told them I have a full time job and a part time one.

I learned a lot early on, Colleges and Universities pay big, but you need to have someone pulling for on there activities board. You can get the gig, but sometimes there will be 50 people at shows like that cause the rest of the campus is pissed off that there band didn't get the gig. The moneys there.

Take out insurance on a rental van. I almost totaled a van once. The 3 dollars was well spent. My brother worked for the van rental company, the woman that ran it was pissed, cause the actually didn't insure the vans, but pocketed the 3 bucks.

Springsteen might be able to go 3 plus hours, but when you play out of town, grab a local band and have then warm you up. They bring people in. Give them 45 minutes to and hour to play and then take over from there.

Anyway I love the Posies

• Members
I have plenty of rejection letters from record companies, include one for Geffen, CBS and a many others Geffen said they signed a couple of bands that sounded like the band I played in. One band was called The Posies, and another up and coming act, some guys that called themselves Nirvana. I was who the hell are these bands.

I ordered both cd's from a local shop here in the area. We didn't sound anything like Nirvana, but had a little bit of the Posies happening.

I did it all with the other guitarist for 5 years, from PR, to booking shows, song writing, record studio bookings, 1 LP and 1 ep cassette. I got burnt out not from working, but from listening to the bass players and drummer piss and moan about money or lack of making money. I had a part time jobs to fund a bit of it all and any money we would make would get pumped back into the biz. We never had to reach in our pockets for recording, or van rentals, or PR stuff. The other guy had a fulltime job. The drummer was in the process of getting married, and the bass player was in the process of knocking up his girlfriend. Both are divorced now with a bunch of kids.

Even if you don't have a cd out you need to sell stuff at shows. Some folks will not pay 5 bucks for a cd, but will shell out 20 bucks on a tee shirt. I love them people.

The sad part is nobody would have worked harder to make this a reality.

I even remember every person at the record labels I spent time with on the phone or had meet.

I ended up walking out of a rehearsal one day and then regrouped with another drummer, and I took over on some of the bass duties as a 3 piece. We never sounded better or fresher.

My grandmother would try to hand me money every week when I went to see her, and tell me to get a nice hair cut. She also would send me away with a home cooked meal.

Some other people would tell me to get a real job. I told them I have a full time job and a part time one.

I learned a lot early on, Colleges and Universities pay big, but you need to have someone pulling for on there activities board. You can get the gig, but sometimes there will be 50 people at shows like that cause the rest of the campus is pissed off that there band didn't get the gig. The moneys there.

Take out insurance on a rental van. I almost totaled a van once. The 3 dollars was well spent. My brother worked for the van rental company, the woman that ran it was pissed, cause the actually didn't insure the vans, but pocketed the 3 bucks.

Springsteen might be able to go 3 plus hours, but when you play out of town, grab a local band and have then warm you up. They bring people in. Give them 45 minutes to and hour to play and then take over from there.

Anyway I love the Posies

Great post, thanks for sharing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived