Wiring guru's...........................what happened here ?

Tomm Williams

• Members

In order to speed up set-up time, I have a three 1/4" right angle male -to- 1/4" female cables that stay permanently attached to my FX board. Each is marked for Amp #1, Amp #2, Guitar-In. to help avoid any doubt when setting up. Recently I was experiencing an issue where the 1/4" female receptacles (barrel type) were not holding the amp input cables securely and I would lose signal. Today, I cut the barrel connectors off and replaced them with Neutrik locking (female) connectors. As the Neutrik were a TRS design, I experimented and found that the two conductor right angle cable worked fine when connected to GR and Tip

Upon plugging everything back in, I found to my surprise (and joy) that for some reason, these connectors (or how I connected them) are functioning a bit like an attenuator. Where my HR3 would be set at 2, I know have to go to 5. As I mentioned, I see this as a plus but why did it happen ? I detected no change in tone or any other issues, just a drop in volume.

• CMS Author

It would be incredibly unlikely that all three cables have the same problem. Are the Neutriks the NJ3FC6? These are usually soldered, but some may have a clamp for the shield/ground.

So we're talking the same, the TRS has a Tip, Ring and Sleeve. When you wrote "ground", do you mean the sleeve? That's what you'd usually use if you want TS functionality.

What's odd is that the symptom you describe sounds like what you would get if you used a TS cable on a balanced system. If you use unbalanced (TS) cable on balanced systems, there's a 6dB loss via the connection. Since you didn't use TRS cabling before, that option is out.

It's possible that somehow your new jacks have all got a very minor resistive short, like if one strand was loose and touching across the circuit. Unbelievably unlikely if all three were like this.

• Members

Bad solder joint was going to be my first guess too.

Allot of connectors, especially the in line type can be very poorly made. They used to use Bakelite as an insulator for the connector mounts on the old ones and you could solder them all day long without a heat sink and be OK.

All these newer ones use plastic as an insulator and you "Must" heat sink them using a pair of hemostats or you risk damaging the contact mounts. The plastic that holds the contacts in place melts when you solder them and you wind up having all kinds of problems, especially with the jacks staying plugged in.

I had issues recently trying to find a decent barrel type screw in plug for a guitar because of this same type thing. I had a solid body that required a deep route so I used one of those deep screw in TS plugs. I went through two of them, both having contact issues and the plugs not snapping into place tightly. The third one was a more expensive Switchcraft. I took care heat sinking it and it seems to be holding up. There's so much cheap junk out there being sold and its hard to find good reliable connectors that can hold up to heavy use.

• Members

:lol::philthumb:

It's not a question of if, but a question of when. If you haven't been burned while soldering yet, you haven't been soldering for very long... ;)

if you have been soldering for very long you don't mind any of the small burns

and big ones do not happen anymore

:)

Archived