MIDI Control Change (CC) and Effect Pedals

Fender&EHX4ever

• Members

I am interested in the broader topic overall... how are you guys using MIDI CC message sends to effect pedals?

I also have a specific question:

I am trying to figure out how to use a drum pad to send a MIDI CC message to my EHX 8-Step Program in the simplest manner possible.

Specifically, how do I trigger a CC 34 (PLAY FSW) message using my Alesis Sample Pad Pro without going through a PC or MAC?

Trying to find an answer on the internet is far from straightforward. It seems like MIDI mapping has to be accomplished through PC or MAC software.

Is there a device, or an iPad APP available that would allow me to do the MIDI mapping as an interface between the drum pad and the 8 step?

• Members
I'd think there's a way to do this without using a computer. Do you have the manual for the sample pad pro? Does it have a midi out?

Hi Trick Fall! Yes, the manual is brief, to say the least. And the FAQs online aren't much help either on this topic. My understanding is that the MIDI out on the Sample Pad Pro will trigger samples, but I haven't read anything about send MIDI CC.

• Members

I just started learning how to use MIDI (that is more than just plugging in a keyboard controller) about this time last year, thanks to Phil.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/guitar/acapella-29/31254262-can-it-be-real-have-my-dreams-come-true-ehx-clockworks-content/page2

Now that I've entered that world, I'm wondering why I there aren't more threads about it in effects forums, or why the full potential of it isn't being tapped more than it is.

• Members

I'm not expert and could be completely wrong, but I looked at the manual and I don't think the Sample Pad Pro sends MIDI CC data so I believe you would need to use something to convert a MIDI note from the Sample Pad to the appropriate MIDI CC. There may be alternative ways to do this, but I did see this app that you may want to check out. http://mididesigner.com

For the life of me I have not been able to find a MIDI Implementation Chart for the SamplePad Pro. :confused:

From what there was in the manual, I don't believe it transmits MIDI CC data. You need something that does, and that can assign a controller to send / transmit that specific MIDI CC number. A DAW computer with a MIDI interface should be able to do it, as can numerous other hardware units / controllers.

• Members
Fender&EHX4ever just curious' date=' did you ever get this dicked?[/b']

Not yet. Still searching for an answer. I would even be satisfied to find out that someone makes a single drum pad that sends MIDI CC messages. But from what I can tell, DAW software or a full featured machine is required for doing what I'm after.

I keep hoping that Bill at Molten Voltage will create it. Love his stuff!

• Members

I use a Yamaha MFC10 (MIDI Foot Controller) for a wide variety of things. It can be programmed with push button switches on the unit and is capable of transmitting MIDI patch numbers, MIDI CC data and even MIDI note numbers. It can also be setup to transmit up to four different sets of data (on the same or separate MIDI channels) from a single switch.

yamaha-mfc-10-midi-foot-controller-232211.jpg

It has a MIDI Merge function where the MIDI input and the Foot Controller data can be combined at the MIDI output. This is handy when using a MIDI keyboard to trigger a synth module and it is desirable to add patch or controller data to the signal.

• Members
I use a Yamaha MFC10 (MIDI Foot Controller) for a wide variety of things. It can be programmed with push button switches on the unit and is capable of transmitting MIDI patch numbers, MIDI CC data and even MIDI note numbers. It can also be setup to transmit up to four different sets of data (on the same or separate MIDI channels) from a single switch.

yamaha-mfc-10-midi-foot-controller-232211.jpg

It has a MIDI Merge function where the MIDI input and the Foot Controller data can be combined at the MIDI output. This is handy when using a MIDI keyboard to trigger a synth module and it is desirable to add patch or controller data to the signal.

I didn't know that existed. That looks really awesome!

• Members
I had never seen that one before either' date=' and it DOES look cool. Are they still in production?[/quote']

I have no reason to believe they are not in production.

I first got mine to use with the DG80 guitar amplifier which is programmable. The MIDI controller allows instant selection of my pre-programmed patches and on/off switching of the effects as well as a Volume control. On the DG80, the volume pedal (MIDI CC #7) can be setup as 1)an input control, 2)after the pre-amp before the effects or 3)as an output level control. I use it as the output level control (an actual volume control) so the volume control on the guitar then becomes a Drive control in certain patches.

One place I find it extremely useful is if I want to use a digital piano (as opposed to a MIDI controller keyboard) to play an XG synth. The piano basically just puts to MIDI note and sustain pedal information so, using the MIDI Merge function on the MFC10 allows me to control any of the XG parameters simply by programming the pedal.

Another feature is the 4 quarter inch jacks on the pedal that can accept foot switches or foot controllers. One example would be to have an extra controller to use for delay time while the built in controller does volume. Right now I am using the pedal to control software synths on an iPad and I have a sustain pedal plugged into one of the inputs. I can put the smaller footprint sustain pedal anywhere.

One thing I thought of but never got around to doing was incorporating MIDI control over lights and programming a few switches on the MFC10 so that in addition to controlling my amplifier and XG synth during live performance I can switch the lights too.

Did I mention that this thing can be programmed to put out MIDI note numbers (up to 4 per footswitch) and it came from the factory programmed with the intro to "Jump"?

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music-production/midi-controllers/mfc10/

• Members

"Jump" is still the most difficult song I played live. I played both keys and guitar and if I forgot to turn the guitar volume down after the solo I was in trouble with both hands on the keyboard. I had a Roland JX3P which had a nice fat sound for the song but it developed a crack in the PCB under the CPU and started acting too weird to be reliable so I bought the new at the time DX7.

The DX7 was confusing at first and was great at percussive sounds but I was having a hard time getting the big fat analog sounds out of it. Now every DX7 sound library has a "Jump" patch so it must have been a common issue.

When I got the MFC10 I had to chuckle when I discovered the demo for sending MIDI Note information.

btw, I still think the DX7 is a great instrument and I still have it after 30 years.

Archived