what distortion pedal do you recommend?

mbengs1

• Members

Yes I currently use a super overdrive and an equalizer and i get a decent sound but that's three pedals for my lead and rhythm tone. i get enough sustain but its coz i use all three pedals. is there a single pedal that can do it? i also have a boss st-2 power stack but i'm not too fond of the tone.

• Members

If you want Marshall driven tones nothing beats an actual Marshall pedal. I have a Marshall Governor, one of the newer ones. They take a little tweaking with their 4 band EQ, but they they do nail the tones I get from My Marshall amps Drive channel. You can even dial in the cabinet thump with the low band EQ.

The Marshall Blues Breaker pedal will get you a vintage marshal or Crunch channel sound. I got one back around January and it nails the Johnny Winter type Blues Tone very well. Its essentially similar in voicing to the Governor but the Governor has an extra stage of saturation which makes it more of a distortion pedal. The Blues Breaker is an Overdrive or Crunch channel pedal. Between the two you can nail most Marshall amps drive channels.

I run two amps. A Marshall and a Fender. When I want the fender to sound like the Marshall, Those two pedals do the trick better then anything else I've tried. You can buy them used without going bankrupt too. Super solid, all metal pedals built like a tank and are true bypass (unlike boss which are buffered) The only thing I don't like about them is the knobs are shiny which make them very difficult to see in the dark. I don't find that a huge problem because I always set and forget them. I suppose you could put a small sticker with a line on the knobs to make them more visible, but they do look classy compared to other pedals. I been working on getting the entire set. I have 4 now and I may eventually get the other 4 or 5 as I find them being sold at good used prices.

I currently use a boss DS-1 but i'm searching for better tone. i want marshall-y tones in a box and has enough sustain to play van halen or satriani stuff. I want something not more than $300.

Fulltone OCD and Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret. You can get both for less than you have budgeted. They stack well with each other too for even heavier sounds. :wave:

• Members

I've tried a ton of them, my current fave is the Vox Satchurator. It's extremely versatile going from a touch-sensitive bluesy crunch to over-the-top-screaming-with-sustain hi-gain madness. Tone pot gives ton of control and the More button does just that - gives you more of what you've already got dialed in.

I got twigged to these via the Vox Satriani Amplug when I was looking for a travel-amp solution. Solid build and goes the distance with a huge range in tones to dial in.

• Members

Vox makes some great boxes.

I been using one of their stomp lab pedals for recording lately. The Saturator seems to have those same characteristics. I wouldn't exactly classify it as a Marshall Tone pedal even though its got some British Amp settings. Its got more compression and warmer saturation voicing. I think they sound excellent but from the clips I've heard, I wouldn't exactly classify them as Marshall Tone. The Saturator has more of a Dual Recto saturation with allot more front end compression. This gives the strings great touch sensitivity and makes hammer ons and pull offs very easy to accomplish.

A Marshall pedal on the other hand is more linear sounding and has a much wider dynamic range. It hasn't got the same gain playing lighter notes and doesn't have the same output ceiling. Pick attack is more 1:1 when you dig in. You can get a Marshall pedal to sound closer to a Vox does by adding optical compression, (something I've done for decades). Without the compression, its a different sounding drive and responds differently to string touch.

I really been digging the way Vox does things lately. Many of the drives respond like an actual tube amp does when cranked, but its definitely different from the Marshall circuits/amps I'm very familiar with.

Tech 21 British Character Series... can be used as an overdrive or a DI box with cab simulator. Sounded surprisingly convincing in front of a clean Fender AND into the mixer.

I've never tried the British, but I'm a big fan of the pedals from this series that I have tried - the VT Bass, Blonde and Liverpool. I totally agree with Chris - they're great direct, and as a dirt pedal in front of an amp.

• Members

If you like the DS-1 you should really try a Keeley DS-1 ultra mod. It's bigger and richer sounding than the stock. I can't stand a stock DS-1 but I've had Keeley DS-1's on my pedal board for something like 10 years. I've tried to replace it with other high end boutique stomps (Wampler, Bogner, Emma) and I've always come back to the Keeley/Boss DS-1. Also, it cascades beautifully with an overdrive or compressor in front of it.

• Members
If you want Marshall driven tones nothing beats an actual Marshall pedal. I have a Marshall Governor, one of the newer ones. They take a little tweaking with their 4 band EQ, but they they do nail the tones I get from My Marshall amps Drive channel. You can even dial in the cabinet thump with the low band EQ.

The Marshall Blues Breaker pedal will get you a vintage marshal or Crunch channel sound. I got one back around January and it nails the Johnny Winter type Blues Tone very well. Its essentially similar in voicing to the Governor but the Governor has an extra stage of saturation which makes it more of a distortion pedal. The Blues Breaker is an Overdrive or Crunch channel pedal. Between the two you can nail most Marshall amps drive channels.

I run two amps. A Marshall and a Fender. When I want the fender to sound like the Marshall, Those two pedals do the trick better then anything else I've tried. You can buy them used without going bankrupt too. Super solid, all metal pedals built like a tank and are true bypass (unlike boss which are buffered) The only thing I don't like about them is the knobs are shiny which make them very difficult to see in the dark. I don't find that a huge problem because I always set and forget them. I suppose you could put a small sticker with a line on the knobs to make them more visible, but they do look classy compared to other pedals. I been working on getting the entire set. I have 4 now and I may eventually get the other 4 or 5 as I find them being sold at good used prices.

I have the ED1 (love that) and a BBII. The drive side sucks. I only use the boost, which thankfully kicks ass, I think they can still be found at 50 bucks apiece.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived