Old School Effects Processors.

WRGKMC

• Members

I do like many of the new multi effects processors and use many of them for recording, there's still a bunch older ones that can get some great sounds I like using.

I bought this one for $25. It was one of the first that let you run up to 16 effects in any order you want. With the combination of the two rear effects loops, this one is used

regularly in my recording setup. Its even got a preamp tube for actual tube overdrive. These were top of the line in the 90's. You can still find many of them around.

B.jpg

I also have the matching dual expression midi pedal which I paid an additional $100 for. I keep this under my recording console so I can switch effects when tracking.

169-1.JPG

This Boss GL100 has been a workhorse for me for over 25 years. Its got a stereo effect loop and speaker emulation which sounds great recording direct.

image.php?lang=en&identifier=id&size=normal&module=product&product_id=121052

This Yamaha GEP50 has been in the family a long time too. I used to run it in a loop with the Boss above and got many good recordings. Its essentially the same as a SPX 90 and has some wonderful chorus, echo, and reverbs. The drive settings are super retro and sound pretty awful by todays standards, but there's still some neat stuff there. I think Joe Walsh used one of these on some recordings

oxiwrzwvkvk1ytnzlyam.jpg

I have nearly the full set of these half rack boss units. The Phaser and Echo are really good. The drive is a bit dated

and doesn't sound as good as my GL100 but its still not bad.

25a9-35c1-4b35-aeb0-5f4e68ce7ceb_zps9e86b0e4.jpg

I have one of these Digitec GSP 5's and two other which I think are 7's. I didn't find the drive my liking but the echo, reverbs and Chorus aren't bad. They're a bit dated so I may wind up selling this eventually.

digitech-gsp5-1006281.jpg

Of course I've had this old workhorse since around 1980. I had a Rolland before it, but this is essentially the same. I think I paid $350 for it used back then and it had seen allot of road rash by then. I had to do restore it to good working condition and its been a workhorse ever since. It uses car radio push buttons to select the different head combinations and it still sounds warm analog as ever. I also have a Solid State Multivox echo I bought around 1980. Its actually pretty cool because the input gain is designed so you can drive the input to saturation if you want with a guitar and gets some very cool driven echo tones.

MultivoxMX312_WEB.jpg

I have plenty of others. Some are very rare, and I wouldn't even be able to find a photo of them on the net. I love old gear and would give up much of my newer stuff vs some of these.

I used to have an ART - not an SGX but a ART Multiverb II. I had a ton of problems with that thing - it was horribly unreliable. I think I finally just tossed it.

I've owned several of the different half rack space Boss units, and I agree that for the time, and what they were, they were not half bad.

I still have some old rack mount effects that I still find useful and have held on to. I still really like the Ensoniq DP/4 and DP/4+ a lot, as well as the older Yamaha rack stuff like the SPX900. Lexicon and Eventide rack processors are still useful too.

• Members

cool stuff, but today i think most is just too bulky...

but in the 80s man, these things must have cost a fortune, who could really afford this stuff? electronics stuff, analog and digital not only became much more powerful than in those days, but much much cheaper nowadays...

yeah i know there i still studio gear out which costs almost a car or a half house, but you get my point...

• Members

Pretty jealous of that Boss half rack collection, and even the SGX. Phil, jealous of your Ensoniq stuff!

I had this thing against Art when I was a teen in the late 80s... think I didn't like the cheesy pink panels. But at some point in the early/mid 90s I tried some pedal they had, and it really liked it for that heavy very studio-y sound (I was into Garbage at that time).

I grew up on Yamaha rack gear, and was always a fan of the Edge, so I was pretty fascinated and always wanted to try out that rack stuff. I've got a list in my head of old stuff I want to get one day. Some of it I've already acquired (old analog Ibanez units, and a Lexicon Vortex), but yeah I agree the bulk factor comes into play. Not that I'd be using it to play out, but just even in my gear room.

Beside the Ensoniq stuff, I'd love to get ahold of an old Lexicon PCM (70,80 or 91), and and LXP-II, Korg A2, Boss SE-70, Yamaha EMP-700, MXR Omni, Sony HR, Alesis Quadraverb, and even the old Real Tube Reverb Racks, and Peavey Valverb.

• Members

Pretty jealous of that Boss half rack collection, and even the SGX. Phil, jealous of your Ensoniq stuff!

I had this thing against Art when I was a teen in the late 80s... think I didn't like the cheesy pink panels. But at some point in the early/mid 90s I tried some pedal they had, and it really liked it for that heavy very studio-y sound (I was into Garbage at that time).

I grew up on Yamaha rack gear, and was always a fan of the Edge, so I was pretty fascinated and always wanted to try out that rack stuff. I've got a list in my head of old stuff I want to get one day. Some of it I've already acquired (old analog Ibanez units, and a Lexicon Vortex), but yeah I agree the bulk factor comes into play. Not that I'd be using it to play out, but just even in my gear room.

Beside the Ensoniq and Boss half rack stuff, I'd love to get ahold of an old Lexicon PCM (70,80 or 91), and and LXP-II, Korg A2, Boss SE-70 and some of those half racks from the 90s, Roland GEP-5 & GP-16, Yamaha EMP-700 & FX550, MXR Omni, Sony HR, Alesis Quadraverb, and even the old Real Tube Reverb Racks, and Peavey Valverb. Never got to try any of the Rocktron stuff either.

Archived