Question about using send/return with blackstar amp and Digitech HM2

padawan

• Members

I'm really new to guitar, been learning for a little over a year now, so that explains why this is going to sound really dumb.

I just got a Digitech HM2 and I want to use the distortion loop because without it, it sounds awful. The problem is since the distortion comes from the amp (Blackstar stereo 40), there is no send/return, which is what you need for the HM2 distortion loop.

So is a loop adapter like the ALA-1 the right equipment for the job? The Blackstar only has an Input jack and an F.Switch jack.

Like I said, I'm really new to this stuff. HM2 is my first effects pedal, so a little guidance from some veterans is really appreciated.

TLDR; amp only has input jack, but I need a send/return as well, without buying a new amp.

• Members

This is a matter of making good decisions when you buy gear. You amp doesn't have a send and return so you can forget about that. That ALA-1 is not a fix for your problem. Its only good for an amp that already has effects loop and converts the wire to a single stereo cord to run a longer line to your pedal board. It doesn't fix and amp with no effects loop.

You bought an amp with built in effects and there's no way to add this pedal after them. Effects loops come after the preamp and before the power amp. Plus the problem is compounded by this being a stereo amp. You'd have to have two effects loops, one for each channel.

The signal is stereoized by the built in chorus and echo effects. If this was a basic tube amp, I'd suggest modding it to add an effects loop, but given its an integrated SS amp with stereo effects built in its not going to happen. You'd have to completely redesign the amps built in effects, splice in a loop after the drive and before the effects. Because the drive and effects are likely done off a single chip its unlikely this can even be done.

All external effects you buy while using this amp will therefore need to be placed before the amps input. Since the distortion is in the amp and comes after the effect pedal it sounds awful as you discovered.

Effects order is a key item to know about when buying pedals. You chose to buy an amp with built in effects and you're stuck with them. The manufacturer decides the effects order and doesn't give you the option to add pedals like the one you bought.

You have two choices here. You can run the amp completely clean, and buy a drive pedal to put before the effects unit, or you can buy an amp with an effects loop.

Personally I think you'd be better off keeping this as a practice amp and buying an amp with the features you need.

If you keep the pedal I'd still suggest using it before the amp. Build yourself a pedal board. Place drive boxes before it and time based, chorus, reverb and echo pedals afterwards.

Or you can send the pedal back and buy a good multi effects pedal that does it all.

Harmonizer pedals are one trick pony's. They're fun to play around with but you may only use them for a single song, on a single lead part in a band. The sound is synthetic and they are very glitchy to use even under best circumstances where everything is tweaked to perfection. There are plenty of multi effects pedals with harmonizers built in that can do the exact same job. Many even have an expression pedal that lets you bend the notes or change pitches too.

With a multieffects pedal, the amp itself just needs to be able to produce good clean sound. The pedal does all the work to get your drive sounds. Not sure which path you want to take. They even make amps with more built in effects if that's your thing. Just be sure its got a harmonizer as an option.

• Members

Thanks guys! I'm still learning about all this stuff as you can see. I wish I had money for a decent amp, but my current situation won't allow it. I think I really only have the one option of buying a distortion/drive pedal. Anyways, thanks again!

• Members

You don't have to spend an arm and a leg for a decent drive pedal. Behringer makes a tube screamer copy which uses the same chip as an Ibanez. You can pick them up for around $20 on ebay.

Besides the drive pedal I'd also suggest getting a compressor and put it before the drive pedal. Harmonizers lock onto notes much better, longer, and with less glitches if the strings sustain longer.

• Members
. . . I wish I had money for a decent amp' date=' but my current situation won't allow it. . . .[/quote']

Depends on what you mean by "decent." Check your local CraigsList. You can find used Peavey amps for a song. There's some Fender stuff out there that's inexpensive and worth having too. Mind you, it'll be solid state, not tube gear, but it'll be good gear for the price. Locally (St. Louis), there's a Peavey Bandit and a Fender Deluxe 112, $100 for either.

• Members
I heard some power attenuators have an effects loop. maybe you can get one of those for their effects loops.

I think I know what you're talking about. That adds a "line out," which is only half an effects loop. You need an input too and there's no way to add one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

There is no such thing as a "distortion loop". There are amps with an effects loop so you can put effects that are best put after the amp's distortion there. They are not intended to use with distortion because 1) it can cause the amp to not work right (a form of feedback) and 2) it tends to sound terrible to have a distortion box after the amp's EQ, feeding that EQ *into* the dirt box and not getting any on the distortion's output.

So, somehow it sounds awful except for something you can't even try. Are you trying to use the amp distortion and the pedal at the same time? Usually people find "overdrive" pedals a better match for in front of a distorted amp, or sometimes "fuzz". Nevertheless, something useful can be done with that configuration, but the pedal and/or the amp will not be adjusted the way they would be when using one distortion source, for example not boosting bass on the pedal. But then, even using the amp clean might need different amp settings with the pedal.

Archived