What was the last great show you saw?

I saw Squeeze and Fountains of Wayne a couple of years back at the Greek , and it was a killer show. I'm a big fan of both bands, and Squeeze in particular was a revelation live - I always knew Glenn Tilbrook was a pretty decent player and a great singer, but he really impressed me live.

• Members

I saw The War On Drugs this summer. Really terrific show!

I've also seen Tycho and St. Vincent in the last year, both inspiring.

But the loudest most partying show I saw this year was Howard Jones doing a Velvet Session at the Hard Rock Hotel. Fantastic show, but it left my ears ringing for days. Who knew that MacBook Pro's could get so loud.

• Members

George Clinton, last night (photo). He was charming, the band were technically excellent and communicated great joy, and it was a free show 10 minutes from my house at an event that included tents for eight of the best microbreweries in the country (Albuquerque breweries won the National IPA challenge in 2013 and 2014, and took 3 of the top 4 spots in 2014). I had fun dancing with my wife and friends, and saw some of my students enjoying the evening ....

Other great shows this year:

* Much of Austin Psychfest. Notable sets by Primal Scream, Flaming Lips.

* A Place to Bury Strangers at Sister, ABQ. "The Loudest Band In New York" indeed; my ears rang for two days after and I wore pricey ear plugs. But it was like watching a street person wrench open the gates of hell and chase the devil: scary and overwhelming in all the ways I like.

It's unfortunate you feel cut off -- a good show can do wonders for the soul.

dfd272639c1cc8f8ef274625dafeef0a.jpg.87492844fddc089b30c10b12483b386d.jpg

• Members

I haven't really had a chance to see any live music in the past few years, mostly due ti working weekends and being generally busy, but I did take july 31st off and went to the Seattle Ambient Mosaic Festival to watch my dad perform for the last time. While noise/ambient isn't for everyone, helping the old man set his gear up did inspire me to start playing more and tinkering with my gear. It was also cool to see him perform for the last time, as his health is deteriorating. Great performances by Abraham Moses (formerly of chickentron vs novahead and prisonfood sucks) and Felicia Gaggins (Masturbatory Dysfunction).

Weird...

• Members

This thread is bumming me out because I can't really think of the last great show I've been too. Living in the burbs and having a five year old has curtailed my show going to a few a year. I guess the last great show I saw was The Replacements at Forest Hills Tennis Stadium about a year ago. I'm going to see The Jesus and Mary Chain in about a month on my birthday no less, so I'm very hopeful that will be a great show.

• Members

Trick, I'm assuming that you're near NYC? If you like noise enough to enjoy Psychocandy, APTBS (A Place to Bury Strangers) might be worth seeing. It's Oliver from Death By Audio's band, Brooklyn-based. Wear ear plugs and don't stand in front of the amps - we're talking MBV levels of volume, circa the Loveless tour.

Don't be bummed, man. Do something!

Archived