Amp suggestions

• Members

I'm in the market for an amp and haven't done any amp research in years. I'll be mostly playing a Danelectro 59 and a Jazzmaster into it. My favorite guitar tones include Ryan Adams (Princeton) Beatles (Vox) and Kings of Leon (Vox/Matchless). Looking for something small, probably won't be gigging with it and if I do it would be smaller coffee shop/bar stuff that could be mic'd. I'd prefer tube or hybrid but I'm open to anything, even modeling amps. Reverb is kind of a must but again, open to any suggestions. Trying to score something for under 300.

AC4 seems great, but it has no reverb. Definitely one I'm looking into though, especially those sexy blue ones.

How about the new AC10? A bit over-budget at $450, but seems like it would be right up your alley, and cheaper than a Princeton Reverb reissue.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/vox-ac10-10w-1x10-tube-guitar-combo-amp

• Members

I love the tone Ryan Adams gets from his Princeton too... My main amp is a PRRI too but don't think they'll come anywhere near your budget even used.

That being said I stumbled upon this Vox amp a few weeks ago. It was priced right & so far I'm really enjoying it (my guess is it will be a discontinued item & GC may be selling them real cheap);

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/guitar/acapella-28/31546824-unexpected-new-amp-day

That being said I stumbled upon this Vox amp a few weeks ago. It was priced right & so far I'm really enjoying it (my guess is it will be a discontinued item & GC may be selling them real cheap);

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/guitar/acapella-28/31546824-unexpected-new-amp-day

I have not tried the combo, but I have played through one of the original 15W Night Train heads, and I liked it quite a bit. It could do the AC15 thing, and also a higher-gain version of it, plus you could halve the power down to around seven watts. Definitely a worthy amp to consider IMO Travis!

Another amp you might want to watch for a deal on is the Egnater Tweaker... maybe a good deal on a used one will turn up locally, and they can cop a pretty darned good Princeton vibe.

• Members
Wow - I was going to suggest he look for the Valveking 20 instead of the 50 watt' date=' but for two hundred bucks, that looks like a great deal![/quote']

Yeah, I thought so too. Not as portable as the OP might want, 44 1/2 pounds, but possibly the last amp he'd need.

• Members

My little MG 15 watt Marshall does me fine for practice. I think I paid $50 for it in mint condition at a pawn shop. I can dial up clean or driven and even plug in a CD player or drum machine to play along with it. I can set it low enough to practice while watching TV, I can record with it, and if I set it up on a table its loud enough to rehearse with a band. I even miced it up and played a gig with it once. It doesn't sound small like other similar sized amps. My buddy has a little 12W Peavey and it sounds like a transistor radio in comparison. The cleaner you run this one the bigger it sounds.

g15r.jpg

The new models are selling for the same amount used, and a little more new. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall...65-i2034725.gc

msQIBRGJrMouHLVkvDK1JFg.jpg

If you're into the fender tone more, you may want to look into buying one of those Mustang amps. They have effects and modeling I believe and you should have much better variety with something like that. Even one of those small Line 6 amps sound pretty darn good.

• Members
Bro you're still alive?! This is Travvybear btw. AC4 seems great, but it has no reverb. Definitely one I'm looking into though, especially those sexy blue ones.

Yeah I'm still alive :) Just haven't been around as much, been too busy with work/life/stuff.

Archived