The new EHX looper...

I see a Foot Control jack and a "Trigger" mode' date=' so I am keeping my fingers crossed that it is compatible with the EHX Clockworks. If indeed it is, I'm all over it.[/quote']

In what way(s) would you want the Clockworks and 22500 to interact? I doubt the Clockworks would be able to control the sample rate clock of the looper and thus vari-speed / pitch shift the loop's audio... but maybe the pulses from the Clockworks could make it switch between loop A and loop B or something like that. idk.gif

• Members

In what way(s) would you want the Clockworks and 22500 to interact? I doubt the Clockworks would be able to control the sample rate clock of the looper and thus vari-speed / pitch shift the loop's audio... but maybe the pulses from the Clockworks could make it switch between loop A and loop B or something like that. idk.gif

Currently I'm using the Clockworks to trigger 3 vintage EHX Instant Replay units, which are 8 bit samplers that have a maximum sample time of about 1 second at the lowest resolution. The CV pulse sent from the Clockworks triggers the sample to play through once, then waits for the next pulse. Despite being lo-fi, they really sound great. But 1 second is a bit limiting for anything more than percussive samples, single notes, or very succinct melodic snippets. My hope is that the 22500 is able to behave like the Instant Replay, but with higher res and longer sample times.

However, I also see that the 22500 has an R Tempo mode. I'm hoping this means that it will accept a CV clock source into the FC jack that controls the tempo. My old EHX 2880 has tempo sync via MIDI (and I assume the 45000 also has it), but CV will work fine for me since I'm using the Molten Voltage CV-Sync.

• Members

Currently I'm using the Clockworks to trigger 3 vintage EHX Instant Replay units, which are 8 bit samplers that have a maximum sample time of about 1 second at the lowest resolution. The CV pulse sent from the Clockworks triggers the sample to play through once, then waits for the next pulse. Despite being lo-fi, they really sound great. But 1 second is a bit limiting for anything more than percussive samples, single notes, or very succinct melodic snippets. My hope is that the 22500 is able to behave like the Instant Replay, but with higher res and longer sample times.

However, I also see that the 22500 has an R Tempo mode. I'm hoping this means that it will accept a CV clock source into the FC jack that controls the tempo. My old EHX 2880 has tempo sync via MIDI (and I assume the 45000 also has it), but CV will work fine for me since I'm using the Molten Voltage CV-Sync.

Try to find a Super Replay, they have 4 secs at max time.

Yeah they sound great. I use one and a S900, 8 and 12 bit crunchies !

• Members

Try to find a Super Replay, they have 4 secs at max time.

Yeah they sound great. I use one and a S900, 8 and 12 bit crunchies !

Oddly enough, I do have a Super Replay. But unfortunately it is tempermental. After about 15 minutes of use the samples start to drift out of pitch. I'm not sure how to get it fixed. The calibration trimpot sometimes helps, and sometimes doesn't. It's not noticeble for short samples, but quite pronounced with longer pitch dependent samples. Probably typical of digital gear of that era.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Thank you for posting the manual, Phil!

Unfortunately, the 22500's FC jack doesn't appear to accommodate CV inputs. Bummer.

I am perplexed why EHX would design such a fancy hi-tech looper without any ability to sync to an external clock or trigger, especially since the 45000 at least has a MIDI input jack.

Thank you for posting the manual, Phil!

Unfortunately, the 22500's FC jack doesn't appear to accommodate CV inputs. Bummer.

I am perplexed why EHX would design such a fancy hi-tech looper without any ability to sync to an external clock or trigger, especially since the 45000 at least has a MIDI input jack.

I was hoping it would support MIDI over USB, but from what I just read in the manual, it doesn't appear to. :( That would be a cool and very useful feature for a looper like this to have - like you said, for clock sync and triggering, if nothing else.

Archived