NGD

• Members

I finally own a strat! yippee!

It's a 2005 American Standard, the poly lacquer has been taken off the body and replaced with nitro lacquer by the previous owner, alongside the bridge pickup being wired to tone control for the middle pickup. I really like being able to roll off the tone on the bridge pickup but there's a pretty hefty drop in volume which makes me think they didn't really do it right.

I'm just really excited to get that I get to have a strat in my hands after all these years of craving.

strat.jpg

• Members

The stratocaster is one of the truly great tried and true guitars, and deservedly so. Happy NGD! If you think they did it wrong, I recommend you grab a cheap but decent soldering iron, some solder and flux, order a few pots and switches online, and research the strat wiring options. There's a ton of good stuff out there that will get you what you want. Since this guy (or girl) has already been opened up you're not risking any value drops or anything. If you need any pointers shoot me a PM.

On the other hand, please don't read the most recent post on here started by me (WWW).

• Members

I did some research after posting this to see what the specs were for an '05 strat, mainly just to see what pickups they were using but also things like radius and neck type because I can't pick those things by feel (although my guess was correct) and it turns out for that year (and I don't know how long before/afterwards but I think it was shortlived) the American Standards came with a 'Delta Tone' system, which is where the Middle and Bridge are both wired to the last tone knob and there's a little notch when it's on ten so when you're on that setting there's no load, or something like that, which is really cool that I just happened to pick up a guitar from the year that has the mod I was wanting. So it turns out that it wasn't the previous owner, it was fender that did the mod, and I know it's silly but just the fact that it makes my strat unique makes me really like it, so I don't mind the volume drop so much anymore. Plus, the bridge pickup with the tone half rolled off is exactly what it should always be, it takes all the harshness out of the sound and makes it really really nice.

I'm sorry that this comment, despite being full of rambling, isn't as long as your post, but it sounds like you've had a good day in the end.

Yeah, I agree - the pickup heights might benefit from adjustment - in fact, the whole guitar could probably use a setup job. Spend the fifty bucks or whatever it costs in your area and have a GOOD local tech do a proper setup. The intonation looks like it needs to be adjusted - the "even" length settings on all the saddles is a pretty good indicator there...

Archived