Can anyone with strat knowledge help me out?

• Members

I've been checking out this guitar on ebay, but I really don't know much at all about CIJ strats. As far as I can tell it's a 57 RI (I'm assuming that's why it's ST-57 anyway), and I know I love the birdseye maple neck, but I can't find much about these guitars online, there's no spec sheets or anything. From what I could find it seems that they were made from basswood, except the seller claims this is Ash, which might be because it's the anniversary edition. At this price range it's sitting at about the same price as a American Standard, which is what I was looking for when I found it. Any help you guys can give will be much appreciated.

• Members

Did a quick google search and came across this which has consistent specs to what was listed on the auction. http://www.guitarsjapan.com/1992_Fender_57_Stratocaster_Custom_Ed.html

Do you have a preference for vintage style frets and fretboard radius? The feel of a 57 reissue neck would be fairly different from an Am std which has a flatter radius and different style frets. Personally I prefer the vintage style, but I'm more of a strummer chord player who doesn't bend strings.

• Members

Thanks for the link, that's exactly what I needed!

I prefer vintage style frets, I've always felt kind of put off by jumbo frets but medium jumbo frets on the American Standards are small enough for me anyway. I didn't actually consider the fret radius, but last week I was in a guitar store and tried out the AS and also a Classic Series 50 which has vintage frets and a 7.25" fret radius and I don't think I even noticed the difference in fret radius. There was something nicer about the AS that I couldn't put my finger on though.

• Members

all i can say i love my CIJ 68 reissue strat and i hate my MIA american std strat, i can't tell you what it is exactly the MIA just does not feel right

i also have a CIJ 72 Tele custom reissue

i only have good experience with CIJ guitars, the price seems to be a bit on the higher end, but still reasonable

factory new CIJ guitars go for slightly more and as this is a special edition and from the pictures in good condition and you like the specs it would not be a bad buy

• Members
all i can say i love my CIJ 68 reissue strat and i hate my MIA american std strat, i can't tell you what it is exactly the MIA just does not feel right

I have two American Standards. A rosewood one and a maple one. I got the rosewood one first and was happy enough with it. About ten years later I saw a CL ad for the other one for a ridiculous price and jumped on it just because it was so cheap. Now the maple neck one just has the mojo. Just an unbelievable guitar. Much more resonant and lively then the other one and the neck just feels great. Sometimes you just get lucky and get the right one. I think both of mine are even from within a year or two of each other. So it's not like one is from the early 90's and the other is a 2010 or something.

Archived