New Stuff Day

Digging it, just set the intonation on it.

After looking at the picture you posted (with the saddles all roughly in a straight line), I was just about to ask you about that... :lol:

I think you'll find the Mustang type saddles are a definite improvement... the slots are deeper and the strings won't tend to pop out of position like they sometimes can with the stock saddles.

• Members

After looking at the picture you posted (with the saddles all roughly in a straight line), I was just about to ask you about that... :lol:

I think you'll find the Mustang type saddles are a definite improvement... the slots are deeper and the strings won't tend to pop out of position like they sometimes can with the stock saddles.

I do feel its an improvement. It definitely changes the tone though, gives it a little more sustain but takes away a little of the jangle/overtones.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

One of the things that really annoyed me recently was attempting to put a really nice TOM bridge on an old DeArmond - the spacing should have been right, but was just off. To where it is now on and doing a nice job, but is also never coming off.

So - since I have a Squier VM JM - which Mustang bridge is properly fitted/spec'd? (Note: bless the guys at Mastery for making that info very plain on their site .... and when I start buying $200 bridges, that will be my first).

Travvy? Phil?

• Members
One of the things that really annoyed me recently was attempting to put a really nice TOM bridge on an old DeArmond - the spacing should have been right, but was just off. To where it is now on and doing a nice job, but is also never coming off.

So - since I have a Squier VM JM - which Mustang bridge is properly fitted/spec'd? (Note: bless the guys at Mastery for making that info very plain on their site .... and when I start buying $200 bridges, that will be my first).

Travvy? Phil?

If you have a Squier VM JM, you're going to want Warmoths Modified Mustang Bridge, as it will allow you to raise the two E strings to compensate for the radius difference. OR you get just get a regular Mustang bridge and shim the two E saddles like I did.

You should also check out the Graph Tech saddles, which are adjustable...

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/saddles_jagjazz.htm

They also make a Tusq version...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3014790...lpid=82&chn=ps

And if you look around, you can find the graphite ones on Ebay for less than $40 a set too...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GRAPHTECH-PS...-/361068207923

$38 bucks isn't bad at all IMO... with free shipping. Never purchased from that seller before though, so I can't vouch for them. I'd spring for the $27 for the Mustang saddles from Guitar Parts Resource (who I have bought stuff from, with good results) before stealing the ones from my Mustang and shimming them like Travis did if I was in your shoes, but that's just me... I actually play my Mustang fairly regularly. :)

Archived