What guitar straps do you guys use?

• Members

I've only had one strap for the last 8-10 years. It's a checkerboard Levy strap. Nothing special about it, but it has proven it's durability. It's a nylon/clothy type material. Very smooth and flexible.

I don't see anyone needing anything more unless you like really freakin' heavy guitars. Then, maybe some padded straps would be nice.

Edit: This topic might be in the wrong section. Just sayin'

I've got a ton of different straps, from a variety of different companies. Souldier makes nice straps - I have a couple of theirs. I have a few vintage Ace Hootenanny straps that are very similar to them, some Fender straps and some Proline nylon straps, but those are all roughly 2" wide straps. I also have a 3" leather strap for my Ibanez bass - wider straps tend to help if you're trying to go for comfort since they distribute the weight over a wider area and tend to cut into your shoulder less.

A while back Couch straps were really popular with a bunch of the guys here. I've never tried them though, so I can't comment on them personally.

• Members

For my main acoustic, I have a plain brown Levys leather strap that I bought from a local (St. Louis) music store. For my bass, a cloth strap that mom made for me years ago. For my electric guitar, I have a Levys screen printed suede strap with a Mardi Gras king on it that I bought on eBay. Just shy of $8 shipped because nobody else bid on it. Here's a pic:

fetch?id=31519724

I remember when Ace straps were six or eight bucks a piece... now similar straps can go for ten times that amount.

It's a bit depressing to think about it, but with the amount of straps I have around here, and what I paid for some of them, I could probably buy another guitar. :lol: But then I'd need to buy a new strap to go along with it... :facepalm:

• Members

Couch straps are the only branded straps that I really know about, and that's because of all the hype they had back then, but they seemed to narrow to really be that comfortable. I want to feel like my strap is giving me a hug, even after 27 straight hours of playing. I think the Levy's style of strap is what I'm going for, do you have any favourites from your collection Phil?

I think the Levy's style of strap is what I'm going for' date=' do you have any favourites from your collection Phil? [/quote']

My bass strap is very similar to that Levy's, except it's plain leather, with a suede texture on the opposite side, which helps keep it from sliding and slipping. I like it a lot - for a heavier instrument, I think that's the way to go. Stick with a wider strap.

• Members

I went to my local music shop today to look at guitars and checked out the straps whilst I was there and it turns out that a wider strap with padding is actually going to be at least $10 cheaper than the couch straps. It must just be more expensive to import them to Australia compared to the local made ones, I was actually kind of shocked at the price difference, but I think that just seals the deal for me.

• Members

I'd like to know the best choices in guitar straps is such a personal decision its useful to play a strap even when sitting down. Hendrix didnt even use strap locks! How did he keep his guitar from falling down? Some straps are comfortable for some players but not for others I suppose. The best strap is had by country players who use a horse reins!

• Members

I used to like the classic fifties style straps that are skinny leather with a movable pad and I have a couple of those. I still like them, but I find the pad always moves off my shoulder, then I realized I actually kind of just liked the skinny strap and I found these Dimarzio ones that were about an inch or inch and a half that were made out of suede that are perfect for me. My only problem now is I don't think they make them anymore and I could use another one or two.

• Members

Two of my guitars have these - http://www.guitarcenter.com/D-Addari...83-i1130737.gc And I really like it. Very understated from a design perspective, but not boring, and IMO comfy.

I would like to check out these guys. They were founded here in Jacksonville a couple years ago and have been growing pretty well.

http://originalfuzz.com/

Love the look of some of them, but damn they are pricey because of how they are made. They've been giving them out to some very cool players (Doug Martsch for example) to help get their name out there.

• Members

That planet wave one is quite similar to what I've been using for the last 5 years (this), obviously aesthetically quite different, and I like the way it's smooth so it doesn't grab at my shirt when my guitar neck-dives. I can't really fault it, I like it, I just want something that I'll really love.

• Members

The Strapp brand bass guitar straps exclusively on all guitars and my bass.

Padded, adjustable, all black, comfortable as can be.1/4" thick padding of what I suspect is neoprene rubber, highly resilient and soft to the touch. can play for hours standing up...

high strung too much fun.

• Members
I'd like to know the best choices in guitar straps is such a personal decision its useful to play a strap even when sitting down. Hendrix didnt even use strap locks! How did he keep his guitar from falling down? Some straps are comfortable for some players but not for others I suppose. The best strap is had by country players who use a horse reins!

You, sir... have potential!

I like the cheapo planet waves Joe Satriani straps. They're so comfortable you can't even feel em'.

Link:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/daddario-planet-waves-joe-satriani-nylon-guitar-strap

Archived