So... which one of the mini wahs is your favorite?

There's been enough mini wahs released now for there to be a bit of a trend happening with them... Dunlop Crybaby Mini, Plutoneium Chi Wah Wah, AMT Japanese Girl, Hotone Soul Press, et al. Which of the mini wahs do you like, and why? I'm wondering if there's a clear leader in terms of features, functionality and sound quality, or if the jury's still out. And are they really a good replacement for a full-sized wah, or are there any concerns people should be aware of? Those of you who own or have tried one, please tell us what you think!

• Members

I haven't tried any of the mini wahs, but I drive a mustang 5.0 and like to have something with a little more sustenance under my foot and not some dinkey little pedal. Its the range of sweep that's most important. A small pedal usually wind up having a small pedal throw. That either means the range is limited or the effect ramps its changes too quickly to fit into that narrow pedal toggle range.

The weight of the treadle is important too. If its too light theres nothing to work against. Too heavy and your ankle gets tired.

I quit using pot driven wahs a long time ago and went with Morley optical driven. Some pot driven can sound really good like a Vox but the whole spinning pot thing has been obsolete for many decades now.

Thay all wear out and they charge you an arm and a leg for a new pot that can take some punishment

The Morley wah tone is a bit unique and not as deep as others, but its still pretty decent. Because the pedals virtually last forever and never have any scratchy pot problems I'll take that over any others. The pedal uses a flag to cut through a light beam which varies the voltage on a photocell.

The optical sensors will get old over time but that can be a good 25 years or more. They've even gotten better since switching to infrared LED's and getting rid of the incandescent bulbs the old ones used to use. They also dumped the rubber flap flag which could get old and deformed and went to a solid paper cutter type flag.

They also have things like volume makeup which can be used to make the wah louder then the bypassed tone. Having a wah volume is great too. The only drawback is the switch which is a little tough to step on.

They do make a smaller switchless pedal which is great. With the pedal up its bypassed at one extreme and when you toggle it it automatically turns on. The magic of a photo coupler makes many parts in other wahs obsolete, especially having to lean on the thing to activate a pushbutton switch.

If I have to use a mini it would be this one. Rock Solid, Metal and Optical.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Morley-Mini-Morley-Wah-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-108729831-i1519771.gc?country=us&currency=usd&isfullsite=1&s ource=4WWRWXGP&gclid=CMuFpqrn38UCFVY0aQodVFMARw&kw id=productads-plaid^18283950120-sku^108729831@ADL4GC-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^41539417242

I haven't tried any of the mini wahs, but I drive a mustang 5.0 and like to have something with a little more sustenance under my foot and not some dinkey little pedal. Its the range of sweep that's most important. A small pedal usually wind up having a small pedal throw. That either means the range is limited or the effect ramps its changes too quickly to fit into that narrow pedal toggle range.

According to Jim Dunlop's website, the throw / range of sweep on the Crybaby Mini is supposedly the same as a standard Crybaby. :idk:

• Members

I don't have a mini wah yet but it is definitely on my list of things to get in the near future. I was looking at the Wahter not that long ago, but it hadn't been released yet. It is a small pedal that has fold out extension on it. Does anyone have any info on that one?

I don't have a mini wah yet but it is definitely on my list of things to get in the near future. I was looking at the Wahter not that long ago' date=' but it hadn't been released yet. It is a small pedal that has fold out extension on it. Does anyone have any info on that one?[/quote']

Those extensions look like a pretty clever idea, although once unfolded, I suspect they'd still prevent you putting other pedals in close proximity, which kind of runs contrary to the whole small format idea. Another thing I'd want clarification on before getting one of these is how the switching works. I believe (don't quote me on this one... :o ) that the Mooer Wahter is a switchless wah, and I use cocked and locked wah way too much to have a wah that can't be used for that, and most switchless wahs are incapable of being used as a fixed filter. That's the same reason why the Plutoneium Chi Wah Wah is less attractive to me, even though it otherwise seems like a fine pedal.

fetch?id=31497785

I have only seen them at trade shows - I never had the opportunity to try one or to hear it. I'm not sure if they're shipping yet or not either, but there's a product page on the Mooer site, and according to the product page on the Thomann site in Europe, they won't be available (again?) until August 7th.

http://www.mooeraudio.com/?product/201501158734.html

• Members

I have the Morley Mini Wah/Volume pedal. I have it for my grab and go board which is on a PT Mini. Works ok enough. Not super thrilled with it. Has a very short throw. The one feature that I like the most is to be able to go back and forth between volume and wah. You can also set the volume of the pedal itself.

morely%20mini%20wah%20volume.jpg

• Members

I just used the PGS coupon code to grab the Cry Baby Mini, I'll report back when it gets here. The demos I watched sound great, and I'm trying to shake things up with my board and could really use the room.

• Members

Those extensions look like a pretty clever idea, although once unfolded, I suspect they'd still prevent you putting other pedals in close proximity, which kind of runs contrary to the whole small format idea. Another thing I'd want clarification on before getting one of these is how the switching works. I believe (don't quote me on this one... :o ) that the Mooer Wahter is a switchless wah, and I use cocked and locked wah way too much to have a wah that can't be used for that, and most switchless wahs are incapable of being used as a fixed filter. That's the same reason why the Plutoneium Chi Wah Wah is less attractive to me, even though it otherwise seems like a fine pedal.

fetch?id=31497785

I have only seen them at trade shows - I never had the opportunity to try one or to hear it. I'm not sure if they're shipping yet or not either, but there's a product page on the Mooer site, and according to the product page on the Thomann site in Europe, they won't be available (again?) until August 7th.

http://www.mooeraudio.com/?product/201501158734.html

@ 2:20

[video=youtube;m9ZBNv75xag]

Pressure switch but the sweep or throw seems to have a glitch in it.

Do wahs (yuk yuk)...

lol.gif

...need the inductor thing?

Most wah pedals use an inductor, but not all of them - there's other ways of creating the basic effect.

If you had a remote pedal you could put the unit wherever it needed to go.

Course then you could just use a regular wah.

There's a few cable operated remote pedals out there that can adjust a pedal's control via a treadle... can't think of the names of them at the moment...

Then there's also stuff like this...

Archived