Fuzz / Distortion Pedal Universe

V-8

• Members

I was just reading this thread about stoner/doom fuzz ...

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/guitar/acapella-29/31482807-need-help-choosing-a-new-fuzz-box-for-stoner-doom-sludge-metal

... and was just reminded to ask a question that I'd been meaning to ask for a while about exactly how the whole fuzz distortion universe is nowadays divided up into families. I'm thinking it mainly has to do with classic circuits that are modified as well as (to a certain extent) the number and type of controls.

So, there's a "Big Muff" type of fuzz. What other families or major classifications of fuzz / distortion pedals are there exactly? Maybe a "MXR Distortion Plus" family and maybe a "Boss DS" family?

TIA

• Members

They seem to break down by the clipping thinger. Diode vs FET etc... The drives and distos are usually designed to sound tubey and amp like while fuzzes are anything that clips with some knobs. Also I seem to recall there's also this grey area where fuzzes ( fuxxes ? ) Are made into ODs and distos. OCD, DLS, BOR etc..

• Members

silicon vs germanium. normal vs octafuzz. classic vs modern..I recently tried out every fuzz pedal my local shop has and I have to say at the end of the day there is no perfect blanket categories, every fuzz can have its pros/cons and its uses or problems... my own personal opinion is trying out everything through your rig will give you the most range of understanding fuzzes/dirts and their potential role in your sound!

I was just reading this thread about stoner/doom fuzz ...

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/guitar/acapella-29/31482807-need-help-choosing-a-new-fuzz-box-for-stoner-doom-sludge-metal

... and was just reminded to ask a question that I'd been meaning to ask for a while about exactly how the whole fuzz distortion universe is nowadays divided up into families. I'm thinking it mainly has to do with classic circuits that are modified as well as (to a certain extent) the number and type of controls.

So, there's a "Big Muff" type of fuzz. What other families or major classifications of fuzz / distortion pedals are there exactly? Maybe a "MXR Distortion Plus" family and maybe a "Boss DS" family?

TIA

You're totally right about the TS-808 / TS-9. The Ibanez Tube Screamer has probably been cloned outright more than any other overdrive, and has influenced more pedals than any other I can think of. And I also agree with you about the most successful dirt pedal "families" being based largely on very successful vintage circuits.

Another biggie would be the whole world of Tone Benders... MkI, Mk 1.5 (basically the same as a Fuzz Face), Vox Tone Bender, MkII Professional, MkIII (the first three knob benders), etc.

As with 'Benders, Muff fuzzes can be broken down into various circuit designs and eras. Triangle, Ram's Head, Civil War, etc.

The ProCo RAT has also influenced quite a few pedals, and was extremely popular in the 80s and 90s, and has made a bit of a resurgence in more recent years too, but not to the degree of the Muff, TS and Benders.

• Members

Here's the quick breakdown, in more-or-less chronological (time) order:

FZ-1, Buzzaround, most Tonebenders:

Three germanium transistors. No clipping diodes

Fuzz Face

Two germanium transistors. Later versions (including Jimi's) used silicon transistors. no clipping diodes

Big Muff:

Four silicon transistors, silicon clipping diodes.

MXR distortion+, DOD 250, RAT, Boss DS-1

Op-amp, silicon clipping diodes to ground

Ibanez Tube Screamer:

Op-amp, silicon clipping diodes in the negative feedback loop

Klon:

Op-amp. germanium clipping diodes to ground.

In addition to how a signal is clipped, a pedals' "voicing" makes a big difference in the sound it makes. How much bass and treble is allowed into and out of the distortion circuit changes the sound. The tube screamer is a good example here, it purposely reduces the bass to keep the distortion for sounding muddy or 'flubby'.

Archived