noise/clipping in amp caused by pedals?

• Members

Greetings and salutations fellow music humans, longtime lurker... first need to post about a problem here. I love this page and y'all have great advice that has helped me a lot in the past! So my current dilemma is confusing me a lot as I don't know whether it's a problem with my amp, cab or pedal board, maybe you can help me narrow it down! So I play guitar through a bass amp....why? because I enjoy messing with a variety of octave/sub effects and have kind of gotten to be a makeshift bassist in my band. I have an Aguilar tone hammer 500 running into an ancient peavey 1x15 with no info whatsoever other than the Ohm rating. Right now In my pedalboard I'm running a Cioks dc10 powering from in to out: korg tuner, Crybaby 535q, Xotic sp compressor, Boss OC-3, Sans amp Paradriver, Fulltone secret freq, Hartman crystal valve silicon fuzz, boss DD-3 then out to the amp. I find that with the compressor and sansamp on I get a cracking, popping, clipping horrible sound that comes when I palmmute the low e especially, and only really at higher volumes. The light on the tone hammer for clipping comes on even though I have the gain set close to none and the master at half way up. I tried playing through my amp dry and it hasn't done it yet.... Are my pedals driving the amp too much? Should I try like turning down the output a ton on my pedals? or is there another solution/problem at hand? Or is my speaker maybe incapable of handling the tone hammer's wattage? Help me identify the culprit! it's driving me nuts! Also sorry I know this is the effects forum and I have stuff about amps but....I figured one of you would know! THANX!

Archived