John Lennon Jazzmaster

Here's my WAG:

I suspect from the amount of sweat on them that John and Paul were out clubbing and that the guitar belonged to someone in the band at one of the clubs. There's another guitarist behind them in one of the pictures. Also notice the JM has a signature on it - maybe it was signed by John and / or Paul, and the owner asked them to play it for a minute / sit in with the band? :idk:

The microphone choices are rather interesting. The Telefunken / AKG D19 on Paul was a fairly common live sound choice back then (and also used extensively as a drum mic on Beatles recordings), but the D12 on John is a somewhat strange vocal mic choice.

Where did you come across that pic Travis?

• Members
Here's my WAG:

I suspect from the amount of sweat on them that John and Paul were out clubbing and that the guitar belonged to someone in the band at one of the clubs. There's another guitarist behind them in one of the pictures. Also notice the JM has a signature on it - maybe it was signed by John and / or Paul, and the owner asked them to play it for a minute / sit in with the band? :idk:

The microphone choices are rather interesting. The Telefunken / AKG D19 on Paul was a fairly common live sound choice back then (and also used extensively as a drum mic on Beatles recordings), but the D12 on John is a somewhat strange vocal mic choice.

Where did you come across that pic Travis?

Good observation. I actually just stumbled upon this photo randomly through a tumblr post.

Now, just riffing off the top of my head, judging by Johns haircut it's about 1965ish. It also seems like they could possibly be in someones house, now, in The Beatles by Bob Spitz (Which I haven't read in like 5 years) I believe around this time they were going to a lot of avant garde music house parties (Paul was particularly interested in this movement). I could see John being like "Wots this new music, are they 'avin a giggle?" Then getting someone to pass him a guitar while he and Paul sit down and school the whole room. Then someone takes a photo a bam, 2015 John Lennon gets a signature Jazzmaster.

Archived