Are They Going To...

Player99

As far as I know, there are no plans to do so any time in the immediate future. However, there is a multi-item fixit list that we have, and they're working out the details with the IT company to take care of them. Believe me, we know there are still several bugs and issues, and getting those worked out and fixed is at the top of the priorities list.

• Members
The Site's Caching RAM is getting an upgrade this week. It should speed things up.

D

according to nucleus RAM was going to be upgraded from 160 GB to 224 GB on April 17, dunno if that happened

then on May 3, you said RAM was going to be upgraded (again, or the 224GB upgrade that did not happen in the first place)

now you are saying again that RAM is getting upgraded

really going to happen now ?

• Members
As far as I know' date=' there are no plans to do so any time in the immediate future. However, there is a multi-item fixit list that we have, and they're working out the details with the IT company to take care of them. Believe me, we know there are still several bugs and issues, and getting those worked out and fixed is at the top of the priorities list.[/quote']

vB5 was released with over 2000 bugs, so good luck with working out the details

itsatarp.jpg

• Members

When I click on a post or refresh it seems to take way more computer resources than say, The Gear Page. I have 4 or 5 PCs and 2 tablets. Not everything is an i7 rocket. My bedroom PC is a core2 duo 4gigs ram with dual monitors. I watch video on a large Samsung TV, and surf with a 2nd 24" monitor at the same time. This forum will stop my videos when I click on a post or refresh, but not the Gear Page.

Plus over 2000 bugs.

• Members

In my opinion, if you want this forum to become popular again, you need to return to conventional forum software like all other very popular forums use. Simple, fast, functional and FAMILIAR.

WORKING...

• Members

TGP is running on vB3.8, I think this is no longer supported and eventually TGP will have to move away (but not for as long as it works)

HC was on vB3 when they switched to Jive (the vB3 forums came back), then there was the switch to Lithium

and then the big switch to vB5, HC used to be on vB so they went back to vB, but never really became clear to me why on earth they went with vB5.

Once you go vB5, there's no way back, well there is, but it costs a lot and it will not be smooth conversion, e.g. users will have to renew their account, PM's will be lost, the database (aahhhrgggh the review section) will have to be rebuilt, ... In other terms, everything that they have been working on in the past 15 months will need a makeover ... So we're stuck with vB5, it will take a lot of $$$ and time and resources to fix it, I don't know if they even have a ballpark figure (well, I don't know what's on the fixit list). I think HC is on vB5.1.3, the current version is vB5.1.7 but it's not really improved a lot. vB5 is not used by many forums, and vBulletin itself is not really investing $$$ themselves to fix the software.

nucleus claims that he can fix anything the owners want to fund, so again, $$$

I don't know if Gibson is considering to spend a lot of $$$ on this site

we'll see

to me it seems that they just want us to hang in there and adapt to the clunky vB5 software, it kind of works

In my opinion it will never be popular. Start over. There must be less than 100 users now. Hire a student to manually input the user data?

They'd be there for years. Our database is huge. It's not just the number of users, it's all the years of posts, articles, reviews, news items, user reviews, etc. etc.

TGP is running on vB3.8, I think this is no longer supported and eventually TGP will have to move away (but not for as long as it works)

HC was on vB3 when they switched to Jive (the vB3 forums came back), then there was the switch to Lithium

and then the big switch to vB5, HC used to be on vB so they went back to vB, but never really became clear to me why on earth they went with vB5.

Once you go vB5, there's no way back, well there is, but it costs a lot and it will not be smooth conversion, e.g. users will have to renew their account, PM's will be lost, the database (aahhhrgggh the review section) will have to be rebuilt, ... In other terms, everything that they have been working on in the past 15 months will need a makeover ... So we're stuck with vB5, it will take a lot of $$$ and time and resources to fix it, I don't know if they even have a ballpark figure (well, I don't know what's on the fixit list). I think HC is on vB5.1.3, the current version is vB5.1.7 but it's not really improved a lot. vB5 is not used by many forums, and vBulletin itself is not really investing $$$ themselves to fix the software.

nucleus claims that he can fix anything the owners want to fund, so again, $$$

I don't know if Gibson is considering to spend a lot of $$$ on this site

we'll see

to me it seems that they just want us to hang in there and adapt to the clunky vB5 software, it kind of works

I'm not the expert on the software and platform stuff, but as I understand it, it was much easier for us to use vB5 in part because the historical data (much of which came from vB) was able to be retrieved that way. When we were on Jive, we didn't have the User Reviews working properly, and didn't get them back until we went back to vB. And of course, there are the security issues that TGP is concerned about - using vB3 at this point leaves you more open to problems, and if you'll recall, we reached a point where we had lots of issues with that platform too - remember how hard it was to post towards the end of the vB3 era? Minute long time-outs weren't very popular...

Yes, vB5 has issues - a lot of them... but even Xenforo would have required significant customizations and changes to work for our needs, and I don't know that it would have been able to retrieve all the historical data as well as we were able to do with vB5. We simply have too much data and too many other things besides forums for any off the shelf "forum software" to be able to meet our needs out of the box.

Yes, they have plans for fixing the issues the site has. It's been a slower process getting all the domains and email accounts transferred over, contracts signed and so forth than I anticipated, but we do have a list of issues that we're prioritizing and that Nucleus will be turned loose on soon.

WORKING...

Yeah, I agree - that's annoying. I get it first post of the day, and more on some forums than others. This is one of them. It gives me the Working message for ten or twenty seconds, then posts. Posts made later, after that first post of the day, tend to go through within two or three seconds. As I understand it, that's related to a RAM / page caching issue. They're supposed to be installing a RAM upgrade tonight, so hopefully we'll see improvement regarding that issue by tomorrow. Fingers crossed. :)

• Members
I spoke too soon...Looks like The Gear Page is upgrading this weekend to a new platform. Apparently it is XenForo. They mention this site indirectly as a lesson in how not to upgrade.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho....php?t=1455889

WORKING...

ooh interesting to see how that goes, but indeed, it seems like they're ding it right, taking over a year to prepare the migration and ditching vB all together because it is sub par, not suited for large site. TGP is getting a lot more traffic than HC these days, but as XF reputedly is 70% less heavy on servers as compared to vB5, they will probably not need to invest in new hardware, and can focus on the transition. Curious to witness if they run into big problems.

Macrumors is another large site (about the size of HC) that has been preparing a migration away from vB, simply because the admins there think that vB has no future, which I tend to believe as well, the developers of XF have also developed vB, but decided to leave vB because they weren't happy with the release of vB4, they then started their own company and released XenForo, vB then tried to stop them with a lawsuit and rushed out vB5 which -by industry standards- is considered not fit for purpose, and is just bad.

In the past years, vB has been losing market share of about 1% every month and XF is steadily growing, XF2 is in the works.

I got the impression that at HC, they rushed the switch from Lithium to vB5. Not really knowing what they were getting into. Anyway, we're stuck with vB5 now, but still, in the long run, it would make sense to prepare another switch (start now and have it ready in about a year from now), but I don't know what the future plans or long term strategy is for HC.

in the long run, it would make sense to prepare another switch (start now and have it ready in about a year from now), but I don't know what the future plans or long term strategy is for HC.

I don't know that there's any plans to do that, but if there were converters that made the migration from vB5 to Xenforo easier (and that would grab ALL of our data, site-wide, without losing anything) it would make an eventual move more likely than if such tools didn't exist - and as far as I know, there aren't any easy ways to do that migration. If you know of any, I'll be happy to pass the info along. :)

• Members

I don't know that there's any plans to do that, but if there were converters that made the migration from vB5 to Xenforo easier (and that would grab ALL of our data, site-wide, without losing anything) it would make an eventual move more likely than if such tools didn't exist - and as far as I know, there aren't any easy ways to do that migration. If you know of any, I'll be happy to pass the info along. smile.png

well moving away from vB5 is problematic and troublesome

there's not much interest in developing a conversion tool for vB5

there's this guy Claudio from ToDo10 who can do vB5 to XF jobs

Archived