Powered my Boss tu3 with AC

nin8185

• Members

If my Boss tu3 still works after using ac power what symptoms should I look out for? Will it eventually fail on me? Make unwanted noise? The other day I messed up and powered my Boss tu3 with a 9v ac adaptor instead of dc. I did not notice till a little while later when it started to make noise. Unglued it and powered it by battery and it ran fine. Today powering through my new voodoo lab I noticed some noise only when resting on heavy boosted distortion. I did not have time to narrow down the noise. The Boss tu3 works fine so don't know if that was the issue

IIRC Boss pedals have a built-in protection circuit that protects them if the wrong power polarity is supplied, but nothing that will prevent the pedal from frying if AC is supplied instead of DC.

The first thing to go would be the polarity protection diode(s), if the pedal actually uses them. Next would be things like ICs, and you'd definitely know if those were fried - the tuner wouldn't work.

I doubt the noise you're hearing has much of anything to do with the TU-3, but try pulling it out of the chain and see if the noise level changes. I suspect it won't by very much, if you can notice any difference at all.

It sounds like you may have dodged the bullet this time. I'd recommend marking that adapter with the AC output very clearly so you don't accidentally use it with the wrong device again. smile.png

• Members

So i troubleshooted everything and the TU-3 is working fine. What is making the noise is the AC adaptor and or the Digitech Whammy Pedal. Going to try out a new adaptor to see if its the AC power or the Whammy pedal causing the issue. Thanks for the help!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Got the new AC Power supply for my whammy and the issue is resolved! So looks like the AC supply took the burn instead of the DC pedal. Which is a good thing! My pedals are now all powered by a Voodoo Lab 2+ besides the AC whammy which still can be plugged in to the back of the Voodoo lab. Nice clean set up for moving quickly on and off stage.

Archived