Pedals Or Boss GT-10.

KjStrat62

• Members

Pedals live, GT-10 recording. I like simplicity playing live, mainly its because I never know what the room acoustics and what a crowd needs and I can tweak pedals quickly and efficiently to get the live sound that's best.

When I'm recording, I'm in an environment where I can take the time to tweak a complex unit to get what I need. Even with the best presets built, multi effects pedals don't work out for me so hot live. I always wind up having too much or too little of something and then I'm down on my hands and knees trying to manipulate the saved presets.

I believe much of this has to do with the way a band may be performing on any given day. If the band is overly anxious and playing harder then normal then the preset sound that sounded great the day before winds up getting buried by the other players. If the band is a little more laid back, then stepping on that lead preset can wind up melting the audiences ears.

Attempting to tweak programed presets on a dark stage can be a huge distraction and that's really not where my head needs to be. My focus needs to be on entertaining people and distractions make it seem like you aren't into playing from them.

On top of that I may not know how I want to express a song until I'm on stage doing it. I've always played by the seat of my pants live and having tweak able pedals is a good part of the freedom and flexibility. I read a crowds mood and adapt my playing to that crowd. Presets lock me into a specific sound and if its off its an uncomfortable distraction.

The few multieffects I have used live I usually make multiple presets with various gain staging so I can at least have some control over a specific sound, ie, cleaner, driven and full driven is usually enough to step up my dynamics then step back down again.

Having a good sound man might be the exception. He can then take over the role of panning a guitar up for a lead and back down during vocals.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

The idea that you'll be adjusting/tweaking a multi during a gig is silly - you'll define user patches ahead of time and switch back and forth, probably adjusting volume and little else.

It depends on what you're seeking. Multi's cover more bases, and do so increasingly well. OTOH, if you are in a garage-y band and need fuzz and reverb with a ton of character, you'll be frustrated.

The Boss GS-10 is a far nicer unit for recording and exploration than the GT-10. It's tabletop, though it does have a jack for an expression pedal (among many other things). I would look at that vs. the GT-10 if you go multi but not if you need it for shows.

My guess is that you are on a budget and don't have a lot of gear. If I were in that situation, here's where I'd put the money, depending on intended use:

Primarily Live: GT-10 first (buy used); adding pedals as you develop sounds you want to explore in more depth.

Primarily Recording: GS-10. They're only available used, but you'll be very happy.

This is based on budget and use.

Archived