N.P.D

• Members

I bought one of these last week. I needed a tremolo to free up my rack fx unit for chorus and delay to use in my mixer. I like it. Simple to use and I need tremolo guitar in my compositions.Vintage tremolo is my usual setting. Switching technique setting sounds pretty good too.

TR2-large.jpg

My only electric guitar is a big arch-top w/a single floating mini-humbucker.

And I have two pedals for it. One tremolo and one Wattson Fuzz.

fy6-full-1.jpg

I'm building up an arsenal. Maybe an Octave pedal is next.

• Members
tr-2 is a good trem, nice choice.

fuzz and trem, maybe a little reverb. love it. ok, maybe octave up too.

5M1wSv4hHVQ

Didn't have much choice. Surprised I got it new for $100. Power cord for 5.

I live in Saigon. It was the only pedal in town I could find. And usually

there is a high VAT tax.

Maybe I do need a reverb pedal. I've got a Lexicon in the rack I use for synths. I use chorus/delay on it. It's Aux 1 on the mixer. I was using it for trem too.

That's why I needed a pedal. The Lex couldn't do 3 at the same time.

The mixer has halls, plates and vocal reverbs, which are nice. But I'm not plugging the guitar in there now.

My Roland AC60 amp has limited either/or reverb or chorus. It's an acoustic guitar amp. Good for Jazzy tones though.That little amp is surprisingly great for synthesizers. But I needed tremolo.It didn't have it. And the TR-2 sounds lovely on it.

I liked that 3rd Dan Auerbach tone a lot. Is he playing a Mosrite?

That is a good combination of tremolo and fuzz.

Awesome, you can do a lot of damage with that setup. HNPD! thu.gif

Especially the fuzz.I haven't found an occasion to record with it yet. One was given to me by the designer several years ago. It generates a mean fuzz. It can be broad or biting.

I always had fun with Octo's back in the day. Maybe I'll go shopping again this month. I needed a trem. And it's got exactly the sound I wanted. Clean & quiet too. The amp handles it beautifully. I haven't plugged it into the mixer yet.

Didn't have much choice. Surprised I got it new for $100. Power cord for 5.

I live in Saigon. It was the only pedal in town I could find. And usually

there is a high VAT tax.

Interesting. :) If you don't mind me asking, how's the gear availability there? I imagine it's not all that great, but what the heck do I know? :idk: Japan and Korea aren't that far away - maybe you could take a trip to Japan like Seif used to do semi-regularly (and maybe he still does) to scoop up whatever you need.

And secondly, what's the music scene like in Saigon / Ho Chi Minh City these days?

• Members

Phil, as far as synths go, it's Yamaha out the wazoo with a few Roland dealers here and there. For the first time, Korg is offered now - through a large Yamaha dealer. For sound systems I see Yamaha, QSC, JBL, Fender, a few Bose.

I see Fender and Peavy amps. But I'll bet a lot of them are counterfeit.

As far as guitars go, mostly they are made locally in small-scale factories in Vietnam. I bought my pedal at a Roland/Fender dealer. There was actually a Squier Jazzmaster in there. A JM is exactly what I need. But I don't want to buy a Squier - at least not yet.

One day I have to make a decision about which guitars to ship home. So I'm just about done buying guitars here. The ones I have purchased are incredible. The poster Katopp can tell you a lot about them. He buys from my luthier. The guitars they make - especially the acoustics - are quite good - not the crap you see on EBay - built by the local shops who don't sell on EBay. Accessories like pick-ups, tuners, etc., you're better off buying in the US, Europe or Japan. The "Vietnamese" guitar sellers on EBay are both Chinese or Taiwanese with factories in Vietnam. They are not Vietnamese.

I saw several Strats and Tele's at the store. I don't know where they were made. I don't know of any Gibson dealers here. A friend of mine is buying a Roland Integra7 module. He's got to fly to Bangkok to get it. There are none here.

The music scene here for expats is mostly non-existent. There are a few expat bands. But it is very complicated for a place to get an entertainment permit. In my own restaurant, I don't want bands. There is not enough room for a band. But I have a guitar on the wall. If someone wants to play it & entertain customers - fine. The place across the street has a Filipino band 2-3 days a week. I don't see that it draws many customers.

For sound systems, I see some major brands, Yamaha, QSC, I know a good pianist who has bought from Amazon with good results over here.

For recording, you can buy decent stuff. The selection is limited though.

For serious music shopping most players go to Bangkok, Singapore or Hong Kong.

Archived