OT: I built a thing

• Members

So, this isn't an effect in the pedal sense, but it's something different that can be used as an effect for those times when a standard acoustic tone isn't desired, so hopefully it's appropriate enough. Plus, this is always where I've been comfortable on HC, so I'm putting it here for the handful of people who are still around.

Long story short, I've been building a small bodied archtop acoustic between customer repairs for the last 14 months, and it's finished. I got the bug to build a small archtop because I'm a big fan of the sound David Rawlings gets out of his little Epiphone Olympic and my old Harmony archtop needs quite a bit of work. My Dad got his hands on some reclaimed old growth Redwood slabs that were used as brine vats at the Gedney pickle factory, and he was willing to part with some, so for the sake of science and my own curiosity, the top, back, and sides of the body are solid Redwood. The top and back are hand carved and hand graduated, the sides were bent using a $20 curling iron from CVS, braces are some well seasoned Engelmann spruce from a rejected half of a cello top, and the neck is a nice chunk of Walnut with an Indian Rosewood fretboard.

Here are a few pictures:

IMG_0270_zpsfb0a1ed5.jpg

IMG_0306_zps19a107a2.jpg

IMG_0313_zps4075cbc5.jpg

IMG_0508_zps126079b9.jpg

IMG_0525_zpsc4ba35d4.jpg

IMG_0671_zps5d994e7a.jpg

image_zpsvvpbox5s.jpg

And a quick and dirty little tune I recorded earlier today. It's a bit noisy as I recorded it with an old Astatic mic straight in to the sound card on an older macbook pro, but my decent recording gear is in storage at the moment.

• Members
Another question - how is the redwood holding up? Isn't it a fairly soft wood?

It is pretty soft, but it's a bit more dimensionally stable than Spruce and Cedar, and this is very well seasoned wood. It does scratch and dent about as easily as Cedar, and I put a very thin French polish on for the finish, so surface damage is a bit of a concern.

Structurally speaking, it's pretty solid. I kind of overbuilt it and made oversized neck and tail blocks, and added quite a few side braces to help stabilize things a bit.

Redwood is becoming fairly common for soundboards, but I haven't seen anyone else use it for backs and sides, so this is a bit of an experiment. Since it is soft, it resonates similarly to a well made classical guitar, and you can dampen the tone significantly if you allow a large section of the back to contact your body, which is kind of cool. It's like the acoustic equivalent of rolling your volume knob down a notch or two, then you can pull it away and get full volume for leads and louder bits.

• Members

Thanks, everyone.

The bracing on an archtop is primarily there to help shape the voice of the instrument. Traditionally archtops are built with parallel braces, which give the instrument a louder, brighter tone without much sustain. I have a 1940 Harmony archtop that was built with parallel braces, and also has a thinner top that was heat pressed into an arch rather than carved, which was often the case with inexpensive archtops.

I was looking for a different tone with this guitar, and to help prevent the smaller body from making it a little too bright and wimpy sounding, I went with x braces, which lend a bit more warmth and sustain, but you lose some volume. It is still a surprising loud little guitar, though. Not quite a banjo killer, but it cuts nicely.

• Members

Great job. I can only echo Freeman's comments as he is sort of the expert on these sort of projects over on the Acoustic guitar subforum.

As for redwood on the back and sides, I've never heard of them being used for back & sides on an acoustic instrument since it's such a soft wood. I hope you have a good case for it. Typically, hard woods like maple are the choice but I doubt that a curling iron would be hot enough to bend those. I can attest that rosewood is a relative joy to bend but I'm not well versed on arch tops to have seen it used .

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Thanks, everyone.

The bracing on an archtop is primarily there to help shape the voice of the instrument. Traditionally archtops are built with parallel braces, which give the instrument a louder, brighter tone without much sustain. I have a 1940 Harmony archtop that was built with parallel braces, and also has a thinner top that was heat pressed into an arch rather than carved, which was often the case with inexpensive archtops.

I was looking for a different tone with this guitar, and to help prevent the smaller body from making it a little too bright and wimpy sounding, I went with x braces, which lend a bit more warmth and sustain, but you lose some volume. It is still a surprising loud little guitar, though. Not quite a banjo killer, but it cuts nicely.

Oops missed this. Thank _YOU_ thanks.

• Members

Very nicely done !

I've got a 18 inch thick chunk of Sequoia (a four foot wide slice) that is begging for this treatment.

And a early 50's Harmony with a cracked/sunken/glued top...

Your playing makes a nice guitar sound great.

• Members

I am impressed.

Beautiful job.

I am especially enjoyed by the use of old pickle-vat ,material. Being a pickler myself.

That's a nice little instrument.

I am always impressed by those who can intonate their fretboards and bridges w/o subjecting themselves to the dread-nasties.

Play on.

• Members
I am impressed.

Beautiful job.

I am especially enjoyed by the use of old pickle-vat ,material. Being a pickler myself.

That's a nice little instrument.

I am always impressed by those who can intonate their fretboards and bridges w/o subjecting themselves to the dread-nasties.

Play on.

Thanks! The best part of working with this wood is that it still smelled a bit like pickles. It was delightful.

As for that chunk of Sequoia, that could make a lovely guitar.

Archived