Real purpose of loopers?

mbengs1

• Members

i think the real use of a looper is to store riffs and melodies in a convenient little box. that is at least what i use it for. not to layer countless loops over and over again that don't really make any sense. do u agree? :)

• Members

I have a Space echo that pre dates SS and digital can loop riffs on tape using sound on sound or just recording a backup.

I really didn't use it much and pretty much found it to be a useless. Once I got into multitrack recording any need for a pedal to loop a part was inferior to just recording actual tracks. I suppose if you haven't gotten to that point yet, then it can act as a bridge to recording or help you write some music by playing to an endless loop but I wouldn't want to sit in some club and see someone playing to a loop. Just too boring and monotonous for my ears, and playing along to a drum beat from a drum machine is a much better method of developing rhythm

• Members

I'm currently using my Vox Lil Looper. What I use it mostly for, is to practice my scales in chord progressions. Now, I'm not really able to "store" sounds because it keeps time from when I record it to when I stop it. If I stop it and just press it again I might end up be in the middle of the loop. So mainly what I would do is give myself a measure and loop that then do my solo or leads over that. With my 3-piece band I'm going to be using my looper often to make certain parts have a full sound. Also, it took time to master this pedal and how to fully utilize this pedal. Layering is fun if you use like an electric acoustic and make percussive sounds and loop that, then loop rhythm and lead parts. I've wrote full songs using my looper and being pretty good just by doing (loop/delete/loop/delete). I know it seems like a lot but it really isn't.

Hope that helps.

• Members

Like SME_Clyde, I use mine for pactice. I can lasy down a chord progression and experiment with solo rifs over top of it

People who are much better than me, like Henry and the Invisibles, use loopers to be a one man band.

• Members

It's a compositional tool with infinite possibilities and applications.

Consider that every song is comprised of small loops combined and stacked, and you

see that a looper can be made to do the same thing live; by increasing the qty of looper's, you increase the size of "the Band".

• Members

Loppers don't generally work well in live situations. Drummers especially have a hard time playing to them, unless that drummer also plays other instruments or has worked with click tracks and such. Most drummers I've worked with like being the pace setter and highly dislike having a governor on them locking them into a specific timing. Some of this comes from when they do fills and resolve coming back to the beat they often have to play catch up. With live musicians this isn't as big a problem because most will wait till they see/hear that drummer come back into a beat. Its a give and take thing. Playing to a fixed timing they usually drift all over the place and need a good monitoring system to play along to fixed timings. This has gotten allot easier for drummers with wireless in ear monitors and headphones, but a hard working drummer does swat allot and having something over the ears can become very unconformable, so other then a studio or well paying gig, you usually find that drummer avoiding anything that's going to restrict his temo changes.

• Members

I tend to use my looper (DL-4) is a fashion similar to Bill Frisell or Nels Cline's looping, where I'll just grab a phrase, or portion of a phrase, maybe tweak the speed and/or throw it in reverse, and just let it linger in the background under whatever else I'm playing, layering in little bits here and there.

Or I'll channel Fripp and layer as much as I can until it just becomes a wash of fuzzy goodness.

• Members

I heard a solo performer with an electric violin the other night. She started out plucking the main riff for "Superstition" then added the horn line from the second half of the verse. She switched off the horn line then started singing the song and kicked in the horn line at the appropriate time.

It was simple, laid back and very effective

She wasn't using or overusing the technology just for the sake of the technology but instead using it to support the music

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I just purchased a TC Electronics Flashback Delay that has the Looper function in it . I have yet to really delve ito what it can really do in the looper function , but the first thing I did learn was that its a great learning tool for dropping a 40 second rhythm track down and practice a solo on top of it .. that is a great advantage to reguar rehearsal for gigs when I am alone from the band .

The only guitar player I have ever personally heard use the looper function in a song is Eric Johnson in a song he had on his first CD ,Tones , called Soulful Terrain, He hit that chord on the strike and dropped a great riff on top of it , Give it a listen on YouTube and you will hear a digital loop played to perfection . If there are more examples you have heard , please post them .......

• Members
I just purchased a TC Electronics Flashback Delay that has the Looper function in it . I have yet to really delve ito what it can really do in the looper function , but the first thing I did learn was that its a great learning tool for dropping a 40 second rhythm track down and practice a solo on top of it .. that is a great advantage to reguar rehearsal for gigs when I am alone from the band .

The only guitar player I have ever personally heard use the looper function in a song is Eric Johnson in a song he had on his first CD ,Tones , called Soulful Terrain, He hit that chord on the strike and dropped a great riff on top of it , Give it a listen on YouTube and you will hear a digital loop played to perfection . If there are more examples you have heard , please post them .......

are you sure soulful terrain was not a delay pedal?

Archived