Stutter Effect Pedal Build Question?

GEGGIN

• Members

Hello! I'm very new to building guitar pedals, but not new to pedals themselves. I was wondering how difficult it would be and how I would go about building a guitar pedal that could achieve a stutter effect by itself. Most artists I've seen that incorporate this, usually end up having a digital delay pedal, with no time between delay. I want to know how hard it would be to create a pedal to only have this function and would it be worth it as I don't want to buy a delay pedal solely for this purpose.

Here's an example of the effect I'm talking about:

(3 : 00)

Here's the same effect in a song:

Honestly, I don't really think it would be worth it. You're essentially going to have to build a delay in order to do that, and that would be a complex and difficult build - especially if you've never built any pedals before. With various used digital delays going for very reasonable prices, I doubt it would save you any money - you're probably better off just buying one.

If you want to get into building effects (which can be a lot of fun), I'd recommend starting with something with a much simpler circuit until you get the hang of things, and then work your way up from there.

There are a couple of those X series Digtech delays on Ebay right now for around $75-$80... and they're brand new, and the price includes shipping. You can probably find a used one for even less if you are willing to wait around a bit for one to show up. You'd be hard pressed to get a DIY delay pedal kit for that same price, and you'd need to put it together... and you don't even know for certain that it would do that same effect as well, or even at all - you know the Digitech will. :)

Archived