Just finished a Pep Box build

I finally got around to building a Pep Box - basically it's a clone of an early and very rare fuzz pedal from the 1960s, with an added tone control. It's the silicon version, and uses two BC107 NPN transistors. I used a Ghost Effects Pedals (Birmingham UK - http://www.ghosteffects.co.uk/ ) PCB and tried to shoehorn it into the smallest sized case that I could. Ian at Ghost is a great guy, and will sell you a PCB if you're interested in building one for yourself.

The paint job was originally intended to be regular gray Hammertone, but it went south on me; I kind of liked the effect, so I decided not to re-do it. I used inkjet printed waterslide decals for the labels. The logo is a engraved plastic badge and was inspired by the one on the original WEM Pep Box, which credits the circuit's original designer (Pepe Rush - a picture of an original Pep Box badge can be seen at http://www.watkinsguitars.co.uk/pep5.jpg ), but since it isn't a WEM build, I instead credited Ghost on it, using lower case lettering, as per their logo.

It's an interesting sounding fuzz. I have it biased so it gets a somewhat gated sound when dimed, but it's thick and rich, with a lot of sustain at slightly lower settings. It's not very good at cleaning up with your guitar's volume knob, but you can get tones with much less fuzz at the lower end of the Pep knob's range. There is a ton of volume on tap - unity gain is pretty low on the volume knob.

John Lennon was famously pictured in the studio at Abbey Road using a WEM Pep Box on the Paperback Writer / Revolver sessions, but after hearing it first hand, I seriously doubt the pedal was actually used on any of the final recordings... but there's no way to really know for certain.

fetch?id=31447592

fetch?id=31447593

fetch?id=31447594

Yes they did Travis. :)

On Revolver it was the hybrid (ss front end, tube output stage) Vox UL4 and UL7-series amps like the UL4120 bass head and the UL730 and UL7120 guitar amps. Being a huge fan of some of the tones on Revolver I've looked into those amps a bit. They're scarce as hen's teeth - most accounts say there were fewer than 100 of each model made, and many were lent out to bands, and Vox most likely destroyed a lot of them when the bands returned them in exchange for later models, such as the solid state Conquerors and Defiants that replaced the 7 series models in their lineup the following year. The footswitch activated distortion/fuzz circuit on the guitar amps in the 7 series was based around a pair of clipping diodes. The basic sound of the amp (without using the onboard distortion) is fairly bright and really rather unique, but if you dig those tones, the Lumpy's Tone Shop Lemon Drop / ZII (same pedal, but with different graphics) really does a great job of duplicating them. They also recently released a mini version of the Lemon Drop in an even smaller enclosure - looks like it's about the same size as the Moorer mini pedals. Castledine Electronics also made (still makes?) the 7120 (look in their "custom builds" section), which I have not tried, but as I understand it is based on the distortion/fuzz circuit of the 7-series amps.

I've also looked into the distortion circuit on the solid state UK-built Vox amps like the Supreme, Defiant and Conqueror (as used by the Beatles for some of the Magical Mystery Tour / White Album era recordings, and possibly on some Sgt Pepper recordings) and it is more complex and more tightly integrated into the preamps on those amplifiers. It's also noticeably different than the distortion circuit used in the USA Thomas Organ-built Vox amps, which is much closer to a Fuzz Face type fuzz. The only two companies who I know of who have ever attempted to recreate the unique distortion of those UK built SS Vox amps are again, Castledine with their Magical Mystery Box, and KR Effects with The Conqueror - but I don't know if you can get either one. I don't think KR actually ever released The Conqueror - just announced it on their website. The Magical Mystery Box is still up on the Castledine website, but I don't know if it's still in production or not; either way, they're not inexpensive and used ones don't show up for sale very often. If my financial situation improves, I'd like to buy one if they're still being made. If I do, I'll review it and try to find somewhere to upload the review for you. :wave:

And of course, I have my custom built Midrange Boost, which was built for me by H.R. Shove and Stuff... this thing's amazing, and the build quality is first-rate all the way; it allows me to get those cocked wah-like midrange boosts that the Beatles used on various recordings. One good example is the piano on "Birthday." They achieved that effect by manipulating the three-position MRB knob on the amp as it was being played. You can really hear it clearly on the very last chord of the song.

[video=youtube;QQf13fpbxpY]

I asked Matt if he could build me a pedal that could do that (so I could use it with the Lumpy's ZII, even though the Vox UL-7120 didn't have the MRB) , and he knocked it out of the ballpark. If you need a custom-built pedal, I can't recommend his services highly enough. :philthumb: :philthumb:

fetch?id=31455365

• Members

You can see its got the parts of a wah in the circuit. Namely the inductor coil.

I have a Dunlop pedal I haven't used in ages since I got a Morley. I was thinking about removing the circuit and putting it in a box along with a fuzz pedal. I know the pot in that wah is shot so I'll have to get a standard replacement. That wont cost nearly as much as a new wah pot. Everything else should be fine to use including the switch which I believe is already wired for true bypass.

The reason I haven't done it already is I have a couple of other pedals which do pretty much the same thing. I have a Mestro parametric EQ/Overdrive which is a great pedal for wah tones. Its even got a knob that can be worked with the foot to dial up the specific frequencies and to boost or cut them with a sharp or smooth Q or with overdrive.

The other one was made by Snarling Dogs. Its kind of a hybrid variac circuit with additional preamp built in. Not exactly a wah circuit but it has got a coil cap combination to act as a filter and does get some of those boosted mid tones as well ad as some nice clean ones. Depending on the settings you can make a Strat sound like Gibson or a Gibson sound like a Fender or anything in between.

I really don't use any of those pedals much any more though. When I had few guitars I needed to have boxes to get those tones. Now I have the guitars themselves that get those real tones I don't need to fake getting them. I just focus on the drives needed to make them sound best.

I believe the MRB circuit came first, and Vox developed their first wah pedal from the MRB.

I've thought about building a wah in a non-treadle case so I can use it for those Mick Ronson fixed wah type tones. I'll probably get around to doing it one of these days.The MRB allows you to get fixed wah tones, but you're limited to the three pre-set frequencies. That's great as far as it goes, but a treadle offers a lot more frequency options than the three incorporated into the MRB. A treadle does have some disadvantages in terms of returning to your favorite position / sound; a fixed wah pedal with a fully variable frequency control, like the Big Knob Wah Fix or discontinued Dunlop Q Zone has the advantage of being easier to set than a treadle, with more frequencies to select from than the MRB, but with repeatability that's almost as good - you can take a picture of the settings or mark them and return to them a lot easier than you can with a wah treadle.

• Members

Yea. That's one reason I like this one. You can see the frequencies you dial up. It will dial between around 50hz up to around 4K . Then you can Add or subtract that frequency with the left knob, then select a broad narrow or sharp peak with or without mild overdrive with the center knob. .

It will work like a wah if you don't mind sweeping the frequency knob and the bottom of your shoe. What I did was to mark the dial with the harmonic frequencies that will self regenerate. I for example marked a high E around 660 and If I set it for that frequency I know I'll be able to get that note to produce an endless sustain if my volumes high enough. I did the same thing for the other strings. Then when I'm playing in that key I can look down and select the exact frequency that will make that note or chord sustain.

fetch?id=31458937

eab678dcfb3ea49a03ff9244af2b3927.jpg.5f9cbb7e0035a8f63bf742fd1aa77f1c.jpg

Archived