Twelve Germanium Fuzzes Compared

Phil O'Keefe

This is a really cool video... it compares 12 vintage fuzzes.

1. Maestro FZ-1 Fuzz Tone
  2. Sola Tone Bender Mk 1
  3. Hornby-Skewes Zonk Machine
  4. Sola Tone Bender “Mk 1.5″ (similar to Vox Tone Benders)
  5. Dallas-Arbiter Fuzz Face
  6. WEM Pep Box Rush
  7. Sola Tone Bender Mk II (same as Marshall Supafuzz)
  8. Mosrite Fuzzrite (germanium version)
  9. Orpheum Fuzz (germanium version)
  10. Selmer Buzz Tone
  11. Sola Tone Bender Mk III (same as Park Fuzz Sound, Carlsbro Fuzz)
  12. Baldwin-Burns Buzzaround.

[video=youtube;VdJWv4emZdY]

Which ones do you prefer the sound of?

If you'd like to check out the corresponding article, here's a link.

• Members

I own a Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face and Selmer Buzz Tone. When you compare them, you can hear the differences between the two. Both are great and have a place in my collection of pedals. Just like one can hear, sense and feel the difference between Alnico, 2, 3, 4,5, 8 or ceramic magnet pickups .... one can appreciate the differences between the difference in the componence in any guitar accessories.

• Members

This was a great video, Phil, I thought 29 minutes would be too long but it pretty much sucked me in and the time flew by - in fact, I often found myself rewinding and watching a particular sample again. Hard for me to pick favorites out of this bunch... :rawk:

• Members

Oh, hell YES!!!

Excellent video!

The only turn-off to me is the "after buffers = most Japanese pedals" comment. While it may be sometimes true, I don't think the better Japanese builders deserve to have that carpet laid over them. There's a few really great builders here.

The one piece of advice I can offer is that the current builders have advanced these circuits and made them even better. A few shout outs: Richard at Monsterpiece, Dave at Foxrox, our very own beloved Zachary Vex, and the folks at Jam pedals.

The world of fuzz is vast and diverse. There's too many cats out there building this stuff for us that by the time I click "post reply" there will be another pedal that we have to check out.

• Members

A most excellent vid :thu::rawk:

I'll take all of them - they all sound so cool. But the ones that stood out for me were the Tone Benders, esp the Mk1 for those Ronson tones, and the Mk2 for that Fu Manchu vibe. And I liked the gnarly tone from the Mk1.5 with the buffer on - :freak:

Oh, hell YES!!!

Excellent video!

The only turn-off to me is the "after buffers = most Japanese pedals" comment. While it may be sometimes true, I don't think the better Japanese builders deserve to have that carpet laid over them. There's a few really great builders here.

I don't think Joe intended any offense; I'm sure the comment relates more to the most popular Japanese pedal brands, such as Ibanez and Boss - the large, name-brand commercial products that have buffers in the majority of their pedals, and not the smaller builders.

• 1 month later...

Archived