What's the last full album you listened to, and when, and on what format?

goodhonk

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

if we're talking vinyl stuffs, i listened to fiery furnaces widow city front to back, as well as battles' gloss drop in the past week.

the only record player i have right now is in my office, so i have to be on campus to do that stuff.

i've got a load of vintage synths in there too though, so it's hard to leave once i'm there!

• Members

i listen every morning for breakfast to a full album, i select together with my 5 year old daughter...

whats the last album i bought and impressed me:

Jack White - Lazaretto

guys have a listen, its really great, from a musical and from guitar perspective...

i also really dig neil youngs a letter home (the scratchy noisy annoying version:)), i like the music and the message he tries to send, "phoning home to his dead mother"

DSOTM. I listened to it about a week or two ago on Spotify Premium.

[video=youtube;rvawJ-_sCUg]

While I appreciate the format a great deal, albums are largely a thing of the past folks. Yes, some old dudes like me still remember when they dominated and still listen to them, but we're far from the majority of music consumers. For the sake of your own careers, I'd recommend focusing on writing and releasing the most compelling, catchiest and engaging singles you can come up with. :wave:

• Members
DSOTM. I listened to it about a week or two ago on Spotify Premium.

[video=youtube;rvawJ-_sCUg]

A true benchmark among album experiences. In my iTunes I un-separated the tracks into just Side A and Side B. It always feels so wrong for me to listen to any of those songs in isolation :0

While I appreciate the format a great deal' date=' albums are largely a thing of the past folks. Yes, some old dudes like me still remember when they dominated and still listen to them, but we're far from the majority of music consumers. For the sake of your own careers, I'd recommend focusing on writing and releasing the most compelling, catchiest and engaging singles you can come up with. :wave:[/quote']

I like to believe that in my lifetime I will witness a backlash in consumer tastes for the convenient and expedient thrill. It may be overly optimistic, but stranger trends have happened in popular culture.

"We used to wait for it. Now we're screaming sing the chorus again."

To me, the album as a artistic medium was a big part of what transformed recorded music from pop art to serious artistic works. While I appreciate the succinctness of a three or four minute single, it's hard to say as much in that amount of time. A great song can say a lot in three minutes, but not as much as a great artist can say in 30-45 minutes.

Then again, not all that many artists can hold the listener's attention for 30-45 minutes, much less for the longer running times we saw in the CD era. And of course, there are more things (cable TV, internet, mobile devices, games, computers, etc.) competing for our free time today, and attention spans are generally shorter than they were in the height of the album era, which also makes it harder for the format to thrive today, but I do still think it has merit from an artistic standpoint and hope that your prediction turns out to be accurate.

• Members

Just got a record player after not having one for about twenty years so I bought a bunch of used vinyl and the best thing so far and the last thing I listened to is Donovan's Hurdy Gurdy Man. I really never knew his album tracks and am really impressed by this record. It's much better than I expected.

In the car on mp3 the last thing I listened to was Badly Drawn Boy's Hour of the Bewilderbeast

• Members

I mostly listen to my own albums when I get the time. I'm not on the road full time like I used to be and could listen to albums over and over Like I used to.

I Did have some time a week ago and listened to three CD's while working on a project in the studio the other day. The Tubes Remote Control is probably one of their best composed and produced albums during that bands lifespan. I believe Todd Rundgren Produced that one and you can tell. The songs on it fit together as a theme well and many flow from one to the next very well.

The second was Joe Walsh So What. I love that album. Its got songs on it that capture the peak of his solo career before he joined the Eagles and has some fine guitar and keyboard work. Some were performed on his live album too, but I do like his studio album best. From a music writing aspect he fits the parts together very well. Its probably got two songs I don't like a whole lot but that's just his way of making the serous numbers stand out by contrast. The guitar tones and use of effects are killer on that album.

I also pulled out and old Edgar Winter Roadwork album and listed to the double album CD all the way through. Derringer smokes the guitar on that album and it never fails to energize me when I hear it. Its got so much live pump on it, you don't get from any live albums any more. The full horn backup makes the band sound huge and the bass player is no slouch either, He's right there with the drummer all the way through. I cut my teeth on guitar playing to that album and can play most of the guitar parts note for note, Its got the long version of tobacco road where Edgar really shows off his vocals and Keyboard skills and is loaded with snappy tunes layered with that big Motown band Gospel Blues type others bands like Springsteen and Southside Johnny copied later.

• Members

I don't know if this counts as it's not studio, but yesterday in my wife's car...

null_zps4cfe495e.jpg

null_zps4bc93822.jpg

Format is lame, but that's all we had back then aside from DAT which was $$$. Plus I was there! The setlist is significant to me because I was on post-bootcamp leave after joining the Marines and they played the Star Spangled Banner. Also The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday is quite a good story-song.

Archived