what overdrive pedals to cascade?

mbengs1

• Members

i like a lot of overdrives out there but i imagine how cool it would be if they were high gain. same tone just more gain. i've done it with a boss sd-1 and it sounds great. but with a graphic equalizer at the end of the chain. the tone i get is really good. i wonder how the boss od-3 or od-1x would sound setup in this manner.

• Members

stack all of them out there the holy grail of sound will follow :D

you can try out any combination you can get hold off... everything will sound different

i like my ehx lpb-1 into a ts-9... it will not get high gain, but for this i have something else

• Members

I always put lower gain pedals like tube screamers and overdrive before higher gain pedals. This way you can step up to whatever gain you need and have the lowest noise and feedback in the process. I also use a compressor before my gain boxes which will give them that super sustain thing when I want it. Putting a comp after gain boxes is much too noisy and because drive pedals kill dynamics its not much use there.

Its funny because in recording, you put comps after gain and it often sounds good. Wit foot pedals it just doesn't work that well.

• Members

Love stacking. One thing to keep in mind is that the nature of the boost can really affect out the drive after is affected. I've got a Deluxe Cream Pie and use the SparkleDrive Model on my iStomp, and they both have very different effects on my SFT and DLS (the latter of which I run just so there's a slight bit of hair). I even stack the SFT and DLS as well.

And I agree an OD infront of a fuzz can add some extra depth if you're fuzz tends to be on the smooth side.

Soul Food into my Wampler Euphoria is amazing or Soul Food into Wampler Ace Thirty will give you that Brian May high gain lead tone.......

I was just coming in here to say "Soul Food into just about anything..." :D

Seriously - it is a great pedal for slamming the input of just about any other dirt pedal.

Archived