New Pedal Suggestions

subdrewgans

• Members

Hey All,

New to the board. Looking for some suggestions for some new pedals to try.

The style of music I play is generally 90's Post Hardcore/Screamo as well as some Post-Rock (examples would include: city of caterpillar and pg.99)

My current pedals and in their patch order (also, if you have a better order suggestion, let me hear it, I am open to new ideas)

Guitar > Boss Tuner > Iron Horse > Boss Distortion DS-1 > Boss Digital Delay DD-3 > Boss Loop RC-2 > Volume Peday > Amp

• Members

First of all....Welcome!

I don't listen to that genre of music, but it might be more helpful to let us know if there is anything particular you are trying to achieve with your sound. The only thing I really see missing from your board is some kind of modulation effect. Although, my guess it you prefer a more straight ahead, aggressive tone.

Oh...and you might want to try your volume pedal before your delay. You can do some cool volume swells and the delay will give you a nice ambient sound. Of course, nothing works better than experimenting with different pedals and pedal order. Have fun!

• Members

Is the Iron horse a rat clone or a muff? Can't remember. I would think more fuzz might be one thing to get. I wasn't a big fan of the DS-1, an iconic pedal, but there's a lot out there to look at too. What amp do you have? That also plays a big role in what to recommend.

Hey All,

New to the board. Looking for some suggestions for some new pedals to try.

The style of music I play is generally 90's Post Hardcore/Screamo as well as some Post-Rock (examples would include: city of caterpillar and pg.99)

My current pedals and in their patch order (also, if you have a better order suggestion, let me hear it, I am open to new ideas)

Guitar > Boss Tuner > Iron Horse > Boss Distortion DS-1 > Boss Digital Delay DD-3 > Boss Loop RC-2 > Volume Peday > Amp

First of all, welcome! :wave:

I think your pedal order looks fine. :)

As far as new pedals, I'll second the request for more info about your amp. That will definitely help us make better recommendations.

Do you ever run the Iron Horse and DS-1 together at the same time? The two probably don't stack all that well together, but you can get new sounds out of each of them if you had a boost or cleaner overdrive set to slam the input of either of them harder. Any decent boost will do, or you could try something like the EHX Soul Food, which is a transparent overdrive that's very similar to a Klon and that works well as a boost for other dirt pedals, as well as being a very cool low to mid-gain overdrive on its own. It's quite inexpensive too, and a heck of a bargain.

You've got distortion covered, but fuzz might be a nice alternative for some parts. There's a whole world of fuzz pedals we could suggest if you're interested in that. :)

Any interest in modulation pedals, or are you just looking for dirt?

The only other thing off the top of my head that you might find helpful / useful would be a decent graphic EQ. I have a Danelectro Fish & Chips that has served me very well for years now, and in spite of the plastic case, it's held up well and still works and sounds great - and it was also really inexpensive. A good EQ will allow you to tailor the signal either pre or post distortion, allowing you to get a variety of new sounds. Since the Dano also has a level control it can also be used as a boost too.

• Members

I play a Rickenbacker 650A Atlantis

I am blanking on the model of my amp. It's a Peavey tube amp.. I believe from the late 80's.. Its literally built inside a flight case. I can check the model later. I can't find an image of the head, but the cab looks like this http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac222/_TheSnakeKing/photo343.jpg

I honestly don't know a lot about pedals, which is why I am asking for suggestions.

I'm not sure what a modulation pedal does.. I watched some youtube video's of some, and it doesn't sound like something I would use often, but it's really a thing I would need to try.

I have a really cheap ibanez fuzz pedal, never got a sound I liked from it, so I never use it.. could be because it's a really cheap crappy one someone gave to me.

I never run the 2 distortions at the same time.. Heck since getting the iron horse I barely touch the DS-1 anymore.

Someone suggested I get a Ibanez Tube Screamer.. Thoughts?

I'm guessing your amp is a Peavey MX VTX. Most of them had solid state preamps and four 6L6 output tubes, although I believe some of the later models may have had tube preamps.

As far as a Tube Screamer, it would be similar in gain (amount of grit, distortion, etc.) to the Soul Food I mentioned earlier, but with more of a boost in the midrange vs the flatter EQ of the Soul Food. Similar capabilities in terms of "slamming" the input of your other dirt pedals to get new / different sounds.

Modulation isn't for everyone, although it comes in many forms. Chorus, tremolo, flangers, phasers - all are usually considered modulation effects. They're not used all that often for Screamo as far as I know.

If you're new to effects you might want to check out something like the Line 6 M9, which is a modeler, but it has models of numerous effects, many of which are quite close to the sound of the pedals they're based on. It's easy to use too, and can do up to three effects simultaneously.

Archived