How does one use a mic with a DL4 or similar pedal?

colbybmiller

• Members

I've always known that Thom Yorke and other musicians use various guitar pedals with their vocals, but I can't figure out how they do this while still having their vocals sound well enough.

I attempted hooking one of my SM58s up to a DL4 last night to no success. It's just too quiet.

So how does Thom Yorke do it? Anyone have any advice on this?

• Members

you could use a mixer send and return (or insert) channels as efx loops, depending on the mixers options there are a tons of ways how to wire it up

you could use a mic preamp between mic and your efx pedals

something liek this, is on the cheap side

http://www.thomann.de/gb/art_tube_mp.htm

if have no clue about preamp and if this suggestion is anything good, but its a start

You will need a low to high impedance adapter. Something like this should do it: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/audio-technica-cp8201-in-line-transformer

That would correct the impedance mismatch, but not the level and mixing issues - the level coming out of the typical dynamic / moving coil vocal mic is typically much lower than the output of a guitar.

Eventide came out with a clever pedal not too long ago called the Mixing Link that's designed to deal with both the level and impedance issues. If I needed to run pedals on the vocal mic, and wanted to control that from on stage, I'd get one of those.

fetch?filedataid=104658

If you want the soundperson to handle it, it can be done at the mixing console, but again, you'd need to preamplify the mic signal first, then take a board send, convert the impedance, run that into the pedal, then take the pedal's output back to the board via an aux return...

Archived