So Dubstep - What am I missing? Post some good examples...

Preacher

• Members

Even if I don't choose to listen to a certain genre all the time I can usually understand why someone would like something. That goes for just about everything, including indigenous music.

But Dubstep? Maybe it's just I haven't given it a chance but I don't think I get it. I don't understand what makes the bass "drop" so great.

But I don't want be an old man and just yell "ugh, the kids these days! They don't know what real music is!" So what am I missing?

Please post examples of good dubstep.

(side note: HCEG has more traffic but I think this question may get a more serious response over here)

• Members

yeah, dubstep, it has been around for 5 years so it's gonna stay, I think the mainstream dubstep acts like Skrillex or so have reached their peak and now it's going back underground, it's not the easiest genre to get into, linked with the D&B, the DJ and the remix world, these are good starting points to explore the genre, but it must be said, it is not for everyone

• Members

Thanks, I'll have to look at this.

Also, don't get me wrong, I was big Drum & Bass/ Jungle fan going back to the late 90's so I'm fairly familiar with that. I found a lot of that stuff owed not just the samples but the sensibility to jazz - I would throw that on when I wanted to chill a bit.

I haven't got too much of a reference for the heredity of dubstep's structure, but I'll take a look at that list when I have time. Thanks again. :thu:

• Members

The Safe in Sound Tour recently made a stop in my neck of the woods. They've found a loophole in city noise ordinances by pushing extreme decibel levels below the freq ranges that the police use to measure violations. As a result, the bass was shaking residential neighborhoods for a 2 mile radius and effectively inspiring the community to reevaluate city ordinances. The bass made my skull throb from over a mile away. I can't imagine what kind of physiological damage these people are doing to themselves. I suppose it isn't that much worse than the last 20 minutes of an MBV show, but at least MBV offer earplugs and play closed venues. I don't know... I can appreciate the sonic experimentation and the full body experience... but the actual compositions are not my taste.

• Members

First, #5...Skrillex - Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites

[video=youtube;WSeNSzJ2-Jw]

Ok, some musicality in the synth ditty and the vocals. I can see why folks would like that. Other than the "viral" tie-in I don't think the "Oh my gosh!!!1!" adds anything whatsoever to the track. Also, 180 million plays?

Still, structurally, it reminds me a bit of this...:lol:

• Members

#4, Digital Mystikz - Ancient Memories

Seems like it not only goes no where but it's not really even about creating an evocative atmosphere, something that highlights much of the best ambient. I think it does have the most obviously Drum & Bass beat styling of the bunch. Overall seems pretty innocuous, not necessarily something I personally would pay for, but I have no problem imagining someone else liking it.

Also doesn't really seem like what I've come to know as "Dubstep". Maybe a stylistic outlier?

• Members

#1, Skream - Midnight Request Line

[video=youtube;p6WJYe6n-l8]

Hmm. This is a song. Or maybe a very bass-heavy and kind of interesting video game soundtrack. Maybe both. Still, after listening to it 4 times, not bad. It seems to know what it is.

The best of the top 5 on this list? Probably. But then again, they're so disparate in style I think it's hard to compare them. Also, in reading through Spin's summaries I don't think they know how the word "anthem" is generally used. :confused:

• Members

So thinking about it, I've arrived at a couple conclusions (thanks bieke for the info! :thu:)...

• What I had identified as the sound of dubstep (Skrillex, etc) is considered by many dubstep enthusiasts to be "brostep," a subgenre that emphasizes distorted midrange synths and robotic stutters considered more aggressive than traditional dubstep.

• I find it very hard to identify anything consistent in the music termed Dubstep beyond the evident or claimed musical influences.

• Members
The Safe in Sound Tour recently made a stop in my neck of the woods. They've found a loophole in city noise ordinances by pushing extreme decibel levels below the freq ranges that the police use to measure violations. As a result' date=' the bass was shaking residential neighborhoods for a 2 mile radius and effectively inspiring the community to reevaluate city ordinances. The bass made my skull throb from over a mile away. I can't imagine what kind of physiological damage these people are doing to themselves. I suppose it isn't that much worse than the last 20 minutes of an MBV show, but at least MBV offer earplugs and play closed venues. I don't know... I can appreciate the sonic experimentation and the full body experience... but the actual compositions are not my taste.[/quote']

Heh, wow. That's pretty interesting.

:music012:

:cop:...:idk:

:bangheadonwall::mad2:

• Members

contrary to what the other guy said.. dubsteps been going a lot longer than 5 years.. at least here in the UK.

I think back to the early 2000's so probably 'underground' just before then.. it evolved from 2 step and drum n bass.

Much like other genres its sometimes better to listen to some artists either as full albums or DJ sets so you get the transition and pace changes that 5 minutes of music doesnt really afford.

Burial is most definatly dubstep.. but doesnt fall into the trap of 'brostep' ie american influenced stuff always with a drop (which actually has more in common with uk bassline music - another sub genre from the early 2000's) although he doesnt perform live, and up until recently his identity was a bit of a secret/mystery

My favourite artists would be someone like 16bit, Zomby, Boxcutter or Caspa. More popular people taking dubstep in another direction are Joy Orbison, James Blake or Mount Kimbie. All should have stuff on Youtube/spotify/soundcloud etc

Hyperdub is the essential/pioneering dubstep record label.

• Members

With due respect, dipping a toe into a sampler of 'hits' is not a good way to look into a type of music that is often very dependent upon playback context to maximize listening pleasure. e.g., volume and crowds.

I would suggest that going to a place where people are dancing and enjoying themselves while getting bombarded with loud dubstep sets would not only help you 'get' the music, but you might also wind up enjoying yourself.

The ability of electronic dance music enthusiasts to disappear up their own backsides by endlessly engaging in hair splitting contests is hard to overstate. It really gets in the way of actually relating to and enjoying the music itself.

Burial is just an amazing artist, IMHO. Terrific.

Archived