Start a Eq

dick wiggins

• Members

sliders or knobbies?

If sliders, start with everything flat and cut freq's instead of boosting. EQs get a bad rap from the "hiss" because cats get all boosty with the freq's, when cutting works just as well.

starting points for 1st time eq set up

Which EQ? What amp and guitar? Pre or post dirt? Clean or dirty? Style of music?

Normally I'd recommend starting with everything flat and then adjusting it from there while listening. If you are using a graphic EQ, listen to what happens as you raise and lower the sliders one at a time. You'll soon get a clear idea of what they're doing to the sound and you can adjust to taste from there. :)

• Members

Best Eq i have used is the Maxon PQ-401, the para. I cant say any setting on it is bad. The Moollon Para EQ is a close second, but thats a more modern vibe.

EQ depends so much on the equipment and the volume, I couldnt say. ESP Pre and post dirt.

Read up on Amptone.com taught me alot.

Nowadays I work more on volume. Then again, eq needs can also depend on your position in the mix/band/

yeah

• Members

I used to use them when I had unmatched gear and poor fidelity amp/speakers. Not sure it really helped much when it came right down to it. It helped me identify what my setup was lacking and I wound up finding better solutions for fixing things. Once I new what frequencies weren't being produced well, I'd work on things like finding the right head, guitar, speakers and pedals to use without having to add extra EQ in the chain.

When I did use one, I was giving a boost in the 3~5K range and a roll off in the 500~800hz range. The amp I was using then had too much lower mids because the speakers weren't a good match. Later when I got better speakers I could run the EQ flat and have those same tones, so I removed it from the pedal board since its simply become a redundant item in my chain. With every pedal added there's a trade off in fidelity.

You have to decide if the benefits outweigh the losses. Chances are you'll boost things up and like it for awhile. Eventually you'll learn that more isn't always better. An amp with a matching cab should have plenty of frequency range with its EQ. If you need it in line maybe you want different pedals to target those frequencies.

Archived