Need some help with my new pedalboard configuration

Pmaurer

• Members

First time poster here. So, I've worked pretty hard on my new pedalboard with customizations but something is not working with my inputs. What I've done, because I am OCD about cables, is install 3 flush mount 1/4 jacks into the back of the board so that the cables from my amp can go right into those. From each of the inputs I have soldered patch cables below the board that then lead to the pedals on the board. I have tested all the jacks, they function properly going into the front of my amp. But, the two FX loop jacks do not function when I try to use them in the loop. WHY? What am I doing wrong? Do FX loops require a different input jack or something?

IMAG0846.jpg

In this pic, I'm not using the FX loop jacks from the board to show you the path. Green is the FX send and pink is the return - this works just fine.

IMAG0847.jpg

The top jack is the amp input. Bottom right is the return and bottom left, send.

• Members

The way most people use effects loops is to put the delays, modulations & reverbs in the effects loop, and pretty much all other effects run into the amp input as normal.

Tuner --> Overdrive -->wah pedal --->[AMPLIFER INPUT]

[effects SEND] ---> Tremolo --> Phaser --> Delay ---> Reverb ---> noise gate ---> [effects RETURN]

I've never used a noise gate, it might work better at the front of the effects loop chain if you're into the reverb 'tails'...

To answer your other question, effects loops don't require special jacks or cables. However, most use a higher signal level than a standard guitar signal. so some effects may distort if they're in the effect loop.

Archived