New Squier Baritone Jazzmaster

Phil O'Keefe

I just got this in the mail, and I figured it is bound to be of interest to at least a few of you... although I suspect some will grouse about the bridge, switch position, and output jack...

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

SQUIER® BY FENDER® RELEASES VINTAGE MODIFIED BARITONE JAZZMASTER®

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (October 22, 2014) – Squier presents one of its most distinctive instruments ever in the deeply resounding form of the Vintage Modified Baritone Jazzmaster guitar.

Tuned A to A and featuring the 30” scale length of a short-scale bass, it lends a rumbling baritone sonic character all its own to your sound and features the authentic vintage-style look of Fender’s seldom-seen Antigua finish, with a matching pickguard. Fingerboard binding and white pearloid block inlays impart even more elegance, and that deep one-of-a-kind twang rocks loud and clear from a pair of Dual Duncan Designed single-coil Jazzmaster pickups. All together, the Vintage Modified Baritone Jazzmaster makes for a singularly exciting Squier playing experience.

For more information, and to locate a dealer near you, go to www.squierguitars.com.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Worthless without pics? Let's fix that...

fetch?id=31287833

So... what do you think? Hit, miss, or somewhere in between?

Baris sound awesomer clean than regular scale Fenders. They are considered basses?

Not usually - they sit in the middle range between regular guitar and bass, so they're kind of their own thing. I believe Fender said the Squier is factory-tuned A-A. You could probably go B-B without too much difficulty and without having to mod anything, but it would be much more challenging to use bass strings and tune it lower. It's a 30" scale length, which is the same as my '05 Danelectro Baritone (although other companies have made baris with shorter scale lengths), and the same as Fender's short scale basses (Musicmaster Bass, Mustang Bass, etc.), but it is tuned higher than a shortscale bass.

If you want "bass" but also 30" scale and guitar-like, IMO the model to get would be the Squier Vintage Modified Bass VI. I liked the model I reviewed so much that I purchased the review unit. It's a fun six string bass, and like the Jazzmaster Baritone, it has a 30" scale length.

I just found a white pickguard on Ebay and now have that, so I'm one step closer to getting started on what I want to do with it, which is paint it a custom color. I have not decided if I want to go with my favorite (Sea Foam Green) or do it in some other color - maybe Daphne Blue... whatever color I use, I want to go over the sunburst without stripping or sanding it. It's definitely on my list of projects for this winter.

• Members

Welcome back - we missed you. :love: Thanks for the info on the origins of the Jazzmaster Baritone!

I didn't read an article that said it was based on it, but I just immediately recognized it. I read an interview with Dave from a few years ago where he described getting fender to make his dream baritone, he was playing a danelectro baritone more than regular guitar at the time and had some dream specs. As you can see from my pic and the squier, he wanted a jazzmaster body in Antigua, his favorite fender color, and he wanted a strat output jack. He has a vintage 60's Bass VI, so he sent the neck to the fender custom shop to be recreated, hence the 30 inch scale on the squire. He also wanted a tunematic bridge, which is the only detail not recreated on squire. He tunes it A-A, again, like the squire.

So when I saw the pic with all of those features, I put two and two together.

Archived