NGD

eti

• Members

I like it a LOT! It's nice and light (5.2 lbs) and sounds great. It's a 22.75" scale. I have long fingers, but I like the extended reach I get with a shorter scale guitar.

I hear you can put a 24" or 25.5" scale Fender neck on it and it will intonate; just checked and it's true! Base of neck pocket to bridge saddles is roughly 7", just like on a regular Strat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Awesome! I've always wanted to hear the first and third pup together on a Strat! But technically, that's still just 6 combinations isn't it?

Bridge and neck together is now my FAV setting. The 7 sounds are as follows:

B = bridge M = Middle N= neck

Standard 5

1) B

2) B+M

3) M

4) M+N

5) N

Extra 2

6) N+B

7) B+M+N

Plus

8) All off

• Members

Awesome! I've always wanted to hear the first and third pup together on a Strat! But technically, that's still just 6 combinations isn't it?

By adding one SPST switch that turns on the Bridge Pickup used in conjunction with a standard Fender 5 way switch will allow the combination you mention (Tele Middle Sound). You can also do ALL ON with the #4 position and the switch On, The photo is of a pickguard with the switch added, last used in a Strat over 15 years ago. I dug it out of the archives just for the pix.

This is what I did until I put empty P/U covers in the middle of my Strats with 3 way switches and just wire them up like a Tele with 2 pickups...no need for the switch when your Strat does the Tele Middle Sound naturally. Less magnetic field means more natural sustain also.

My name isn't StratStevo for nothing ;)

fetch?id=31292442

• Members

By adding one SPST switch that turns on the Bridge Pickup used in conjunction with a standard Fender 5 way switch will allow the combination you mention (Tele Middle Sound). You can also do ALL ON with the #4 position and the switch On, The photo is of a pickguard with the switch added, last used in a Strat over 15 years ago. I dug it out of the archives just for the pix.

This is what I did until I put empty P/U covers in the middle of my Strats with 3 way switches and just wire them up like a Tele with 2 pickups...no need for the switch when your Strat does the Tele Middle Sound naturally. Less magnetic field means more natural sustain also.

fetch?id=31292442

I had a Burns that had a push/pull switch on the tone pot that turned on the bridge pickup like you said. really useful configuration.

• Members
Nice job guys! Now how about one of you writing up a wiring diagram for anyone else who's interested in trying the switch options? :)

Seymour Duncan has all kinds of info on wiring up guitars ... http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/

The schematic below is shown using a push-pull pot, you can also use a SPST switch. Basically you are wiring the positive wire of the pickup directly to the first leg of the volume pot or output from the 5- way (same thing) making a simple direct Hot Switch for the bridge pickup.

fetch?id=31292772

• Members

I figured out that you can get the bridge + neck sound by swapping the neck and middle (or bridge and middle) pickups. NO soldering required! I made this video to demo it.

[video=youtube;3mUpsu940Sg]

Only problem is you give up the bridge+middle (or neck + middle) sound.

• Members

fetch?id=31292442

What is the official name of that SD blade bridge pickup? I have a guitar with one of them on it.

Sure it shouldn't be TeleSteveo? ;)

• Members

What is the official name of that SD blade bridge pickup? I have a guitar with one of them on it.

Sure it shouldn't be TeleSteveo? ;)

That would be a Hot Stack STK S2 single coil sized Humbucker, I like using that P/U in the bridge position and then use a Classic Stack Plus STK-S4 in the middle and neck location so that when I would throw it down in the bridge position the Hot Stack's higher output kept a better balance, it stood out rather then getting thin and wimpy as a stock Strat does. That combo is exactly what is loaded in that pickguard

http://www.seymourduncan.com/product...t_stack_for_s/

STK-S2.jpg

http://www.seymourduncan.com/product...assic_stack_p/

fetch?filedataid=104007

• Members

Thanks! Here's my other Strat-of-uncertain-vintage™

fetch?photoid=31293729

I dont really like the bridge pickup. Do you know what it is? It's not bright at all, unlike the neck pickup. Not sure about the middle pup either.

e9e8a2ffed2bba532ea9d45a11415fb9.thumb.jpg.1508e03dec7ca19dd17f5ce394a3267e.jpg

• Members
Thanks! Here's my other Strat-of-uncertain-vintage™

I dont really like the bridge pickup. Do you know what it is? It's not bright at all, unlike the neck pickup. Not sure about the middle pup either.

Your gunna have to pull the pickguard and get the number off the back of it, it's either a JB Jr. SJBJ-1, Li'l Screamin Demon SLSD-1 or a Little '59 SL59-1. I have a JB Jr. in one of my Strats, you would probably like it more with a 500K volume pot, is it dark and muddy sounding? If so the 500K pot will fix that.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/stratocaster/index.php?page=3

Archived