Used Gear... where are ya getting it? Gimme your top 3-5 in order.

iodine74

• Members

Thread title says it all. I'm curious about where you guys are getting used gear these days. Seems like we used to have threads kinda like this every now and then, but it's been a long long while.

I don't buy a ton of gear (new, used or otherwise), but I guess for me it'd be:

1) Ebay

2) TGP Forums

and then either HCFX or the Offset Guitars Forum.... been probably 2 years. Like I said, I don't make many purchases.

Been parusing Reverb.com app quite a bit while commanding the throne, but haven't purchased.

I guess that begs another question... where do ya look for it?

Me:

1) Ebay

2) Reverb.com

3) Offset Guitars Forum

4) TGP Forum

5) GC Used

6) HCFX

And I make a bi-weekly trip to Guitar Center... monthly trip to George's Music. But the online stuff I'm checking almost every day or every other day

• Members

1. NYC craigslist - holy crap are there a lot of people here bored with great gear

2. NJ craigslist - holy crap are there a lot of people bored with great gear and willing to part with it for less

3. eBay - Years and years ago I got a Les Paul from a police chief in Alabama.

4. HC classifieds - Bought a Twin Reverb RI from some poor SOB in Connecticut who had to ship it across the country. Still feel bad about that.

• Members

Yeah Reverb prices seem high. I'm not sure if that's an offshoot of it being started by Chicago Music Exchange guys with kinda inflated prices to begin with or what. I found it late last fall and it seemed like it was primarily shops, not individuals at that point... so maybe that's another reason the prices are higher since it always seems like I see stuff used in stores for 10% more or so than an average ebay price.

I'll check out Craigslist as well I forgot to mention, but I've never used it, and really wouldn't want to try and sell anything and deal with people at my house. Our CL here in Jax usually sucks anyways.

The one thing I don't like about forums is that it's not all nicely organized/categorized and forum searches suck. Yeah you can get emails when stuff is added to the thread here, but yeah, I was never totally happy with it as an experience. Also kinda was leery of the whole honor system at first (ie no ratings like on ebay... just kinda a mental hurdle to overcome). But as far as stuff I'd want, it seemed like the forums have the better supply, just not the best experience.

• Members

Guitar Center and Sam Ash is about it for me. Haven't had a bad experience yet using Craigslist but now that I think of it no pedals. Very rarely see interesting pedals on my local CList and when there is something other than a tuner, MT-2 or DD-3 it's always way overpriced, like $5 under retail for a $150 box. I can get better prices using sale codes on Prymaxe.

I've sold a few on eBay but haven't bought any there.

Archived