The Church are about to release their 25 album... first glimpse

iodine74

• Members

Ha, thanks Fender&EHX4ever, that's Charlie. He always looks pissed in photos.

Agreed Plaidbeer, going to miss Marty's touch, though it's hard for me to pick a favorite style between him and Peter. Both of them reflect sides of my playing I think and have been influences on me.

AJ6stringsting that happened to me as well. I got into them right when Starfish came out in 88, got their back catalog, loved it and was a pretty heavy fan until grunge lured me away in college. Basically I only kinda liked Gold Afternoon Fix, and never even got Priest = Aura.

I remember sometime in the early 00s, sampling Forget Yourself in a Borders Bookstore and was amazed at the sonic difference, but it didn't appeal to me at the time.

But about 2-3 years ago I kinda rediscovered my love for them and picked up a lot of the catalog I'd missed. I'd forgotten how much they were an influence on me guitar-wise and how much I absolutely love Starfish (probably in my top 5 favorite albums if not top 3).

There's some REALLY REALLY good stuff in the time I missed. It's sonically pretty different (though there are some elements of their earlier sounds in there).... they got a lot more spacey and trippy in places. But yeah there's a lot of good stuff on Forget Yourself, After Everything Now This, Hologram of Baal, and Uninvited Like the Clouds. Untitled #23 is very hit and miss for me, but there are few tracks I really dig.

• Members

BTW.. since it sounds like most of you hadn't really kept up on them (understood... not like they've had much of a spotlight on them), I thought you might be interested to know that a couple years ago they did a tour where they played all of Starfish, Priest=Aura, and Untitled #23. I ran across them on Youtube and then found out you could actually get the DVDs... which I do have. Really good stuff. Amazing how much Marty plays a Jazzmaster as well.

Here's a link to a playlist someone set up of the Starfish show (though if I remember correctly, they've got a few songs out of order)

• Members
BTW.. since it sounds like most of you hadn't really kept up on them (understood... not like they've had much of a spotlight on them), I thought you might be interested to know that a couple years ago they did a tour where they played all of Starfish, Priest=Aura, and Untitled #23. I ran across them on Youtube and then found out you could actually get the DVDs... which I do have. Really good stuff. Amazing how much Marty plays a Jazzmaster as well.

Here's a link to a playlist someone set up of the Starfish show (though if I remember correctly, they've got a few songs out of order)

I will check that out. Thanks!

I didn't know that they did a tour playing all of Starfish and Priest=Aura. Bummer that I missed it sm-sad

I've mostly kept up with them. I think I have everything they've released minus the covers albums. I loved Forget Yourself. I need to spend more time with Back With Two Beasts, Uninvited Like The Clouds, and Untitiled #23. I did see them on the Uninvited Like The Clouds tour when they played House of Blues in Orlando. Great show! :philthumb:

• Members

I still don't have Back with Two Beasts... gave it a sample on iTunes last night and I need to get it. Sounded like I might like it.

So you just reminded me of what might have gotten me back into them. I saw them a few years ago during one of their acoustic based shows here in Jacksonville. Might have been the same tour you are talking about, I'm not sure. It's the only time I've seen them live. They were here in town in '89 I think, touring for Starfish. They played a local university and I really wanted to go, but I think there were age restrictions even though it was open air on the campus green - I was 15 in 9th/10th grade at the time and couldn't get anyone to take me.

And I'm with you on Forget Yourself. From 7-10 (starting with Maya)... that is just an amazing set of tracks. Really like Telepath on that album as well. In fact Maya might be in my top 5 favorite tracks from them.... maybe even higher than that.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived