yjwdnanusd; yep just what dude needed another new used strat day...

riff ie

• Members

Well the Graph Tech saddles, nut, & string trees, just arrived so I'll host a pix when I get everything installed & adjusted, was gonna go w/ the Callaham, but decided to go all black tusk xl instead we'll see how that worx out I've installed their product on a few instruments w/ stellar end results, so...Also this strat here has and all Callaham bridge, yet the nut & string trees are Graph Tech, I only use the the e and b string tree they come in packs of deuce and both instruments will have both trees installed, but the g and d string trees are all aesthetic, see how I really am...anyways here a pix of the Callaham install, 100_1205_zps435cd40b.jpg

• Members
One of the great things about strats is that they can be whatever you want them to be

Long time no see...Yep & a decent enough neck is as economical or < a refret, especially on instruments with binding...And I'll take a neck off a strat or tele throw it in a backpack fly to Pluto slap the neck back on jam Laughing Sam's Dice, break bread w/ our old friends and reverse the process w/ out issue, now some cat's like the floaty bridge and that can be a bit trickier, I deck the bridge & viola...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

from this,

20140913_100338_zps38f30f9a.jpg

to this, / new Graph-tech black-tusk xl saddles, nut, & string trees...

20141014_174657_zpse1ef7a75.jpg

& a set of satin black Sperzel Trim Lok tuners in coming...will post a pix after I install them, happy casting, you crazy gitter pickers'.

• Members

Oh, and yes tuning stability has increased exponentially, I just don't get how Fender gets away w/ selling saddles on instrument that have only 1 to 1 1/2 threads for height adjustment, my aggressive behavior down there i.e.; palm mutin'/windmillin'/stutter strikes/& so on...cause the adjustable saddle screws to go all wonky...If I pick up dudes stock strat out there and have a real go w/ her, the saddles will not /WILL NOT stay stable for my style of play, hey Fender I know ya'll been doing this longer that I, but a set of Callaham saddles are only $40.00 & same goes for the Graph-tech's, is it that the steel you use is to soft or whomever is operating the operator of the die machine?

Oh, and obviously I'm referring to Fender made bent steel saddles that I've had issues w/ over the years.

• Members
from this,

20140913_100338_zps38f30f9a.jpg

to this, / new Graph-tech black-tusk xl saddles, nut, & string trees...

20141014_174657_zpse1ef7a75.jpg

& a set of satin black Sperzel Trim Lok tuners in coming...will post a pix after I install them, happy casting, you crazy gitter pickers'.

...so the Sperzel tuning keys arrived and has remedied all tuning issue comparatively, they also enhance the sustain along w/ the Graph Tech saddles, not sure how to describe the interaction but I'll try. The steel saddles have that familiar metallic ping most notably when chickin' pickin', and the Graph Tech black Tusk XL, have a more resonant ping w/ a lil less treble to the ping than the steel saddles, yet for some reason w/ the Sperzel Trim Lok tuning keys not only adding significant sustain to the instrument, w/ the two products installed on the same instrument the treble ping more associated w/ the steel saddles comes back into play and the added sustain too, simply awe inspiring "imo" for my ears...Here's what she looks today, again..

20141015_204141_3_zps0f5892da.jpg

• Members

Cool strat riffie. I have almost the same exact setup on my mexi, but decided on a roller nut. That was a b!T@h to install.

I keep a single in my bridge, but rarely spend time down there anyway. A HB might actually be preferable with my style. Might have to give one a shot.

• Members

You know, I actually prefer the stock aesthetic of the instrument yet playability is improved by the added sustain "because of the Sperzel tuning keys and the variable in timbre due to the Graph-Tech saddles, and she will stay as is until I can afford / get around to installing a Callaham bridge, and I see how the frequency's alter w/ there saddles, as I know what to expect from there trem block & trem plate.

@WWW I've never installed a roller nut but did own a 93' am dlx strat "in lake placid blue" with one installed and it had very stable tuning w/ moderate to simi aggressive wang barrin', said instrument also had Graph-Tech saddles as well as Sperzel trim-lok tuning keys. And I know what ya mean about a single coil bridge, I rarely miss getting that chicken' pickin' cluck out of the two strats which both have the stock atomic humbuckers installed in the bridge, "which I rather like, quite similar to a Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB, yet with a more subdued / balanced low mid "which happens to work quite well thru a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier / TREM-O-VERB, my main amp presently" and a lil loser / coarse lows & highs", + having a tele on the side, "w/ a couple of strats" if I feel the need to get authentic single coil tones, and or get country fried w/ my bad self she delivers like an ibis, nawhmean'...Also your main board that you recently posted in the pedalboard thread is just fukin' sick man', keep rockin' em' and you keep rollin'.

And, if I were going to start w/ the ultimate humbucker search, I think the Seymour Duncan TB-15 Alternative 8, will be my first choice.

Archived