Can it be real? Have my dreams come true? (EHX Clockworks content)

Fender&EHX4ever

Well, it's official - I just got this via email from the good folks at EHX:

ELECTRO-HARMONIX REINTRODUCES THE CLOCKWORKS

RHYTHM GENERATOR/SYNTHESIZER

EHX HQ, New York, NY, September 11, 2014 – The CLOCKWORKS Rhythm Generator/Synthesizer is a circuit-faithful reissue of the classic product built by Electro-Harmonix in the 1970s, now in a die-cast chassis. Original examples of this rarified pedal have fetched up to £790 at auction! CLOCKWORKS can be used as a master clock for sequencers and drum machines, and to trigger electronic percussion products like the vintage EHX Crash Pad drum synth. It doesn’t create sound on its own, but generates pulses to trigger other devices and can set the tempo for a drum machine or sequencer like EHX’s 8 Step Program.

CLOCKWORKS specification:

Works as a master clock for sequencers and drum machines

Generates pulses to trigger devices like electronic percussion products

Connect up to four devices to the four separate clock channels driven from the same master clock. Creating polyrhythms is fun and easy

Master clock can be generated internally by the Clockworks or come from an outside source

Fully analog

Supplied with an EHX 18VDC/500mA AC Adapter.

The CLOCKWORKS carries a U.S. list price of $293.73 and is available now.

Worthless without pics? Well, we can't have that, can we? Here you go:

fetch?id=31255723

fetch?id=31255725

Were you familiar with the vintage version? I'm curious if there is any similarity.

They're different animals. Unlike the similarly named vintage unit, the new DBMP doesn't have a compressor, but it does have a bunch of stuff that the old DBMP Distorter / Compressor didn't have.

Here's a link to the review - it's "live" now, so you should be able to see it if you clonk on it.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/expert-reviews/electro-harmonix-deluxe-big-muff-pi?src=3BNM4JCA

• Members

They're different animals. Unlike the similarly named vintage unit, the new DBMP doesn't have a compressor, but it does have a bunch of stuff that the old DBMP Distorter / Compressor didn't have.

Here's a link to the review - it's "live" now, so you should be able to see it if you clonk on it.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/expert-reviews/electro-harmonix-deluxe-big-muff-pi?src=3BNM4JCA

Beautifully written review as always, Phil :thu: I'm inspired.

I already have way too many EHX dirt pedals (did I just say that? is there such a thing as way too many?). At least way more than I'll ever have lifespan left to really use. So most likely I won't dive into this one. But it sure does sound like the BMP to end all BMPs.

• Members

My Clockworks arrived today. I hope to get a video made soon to commemorate, celebrate, and share the moment.

I've used a few drum machines and drum programs in my life, and I've enjoyed them all. But, as with all things EHX, there's a special magic that comes from the modular approach to sound synthesis. It's not the most compact or space-saving solution. It's not the most convenient solution. It's not the most time-efficient solution. It' not the most cost-effective solution. It's not even the solution with the highest sound quality or feature options.

But for me it is the solution that brings me the most joy in interacting with it. What more can I say?

Today I am a very happy noise-making man discovering the labyrinthine joys of early 80s electronic drum technology

:music027::music010::music032::music016::music015:

So a bit of word on the set-up in the photo. After trying many different configurations, I arrived at the Clap Track, Crash Pad, and 2 Instant Replay units. This set-up is incredibly versatile despite it's simplicity. At the moment I am using the Clap Track where one would normally use tambourines, shakers, and hi-hats. I use the Crash Pad for snare sounds. I use one Instant Replay for the kick drum sounds. The 2nd Instant Replay is then reserved for polyrhythms, accents, voice samples, etc. This could easily become my configuration of choice.

Before arriving at this, I also tried to using the Super Replay. It's a more versatile sampler than the Instant Replay, but also much more cumbersome. I'll use it when I absolutely must have a 4 second sample to trigger, which probably won't be often.

I also tried using a vintage EHX 8 Step Sequencer. My goal is to eventually find someone who can help me modify this unit so that the rate can be slowed down. Right now the sequencer cycles way too fast even at the slowest setting. For that reason it isn't very useful for me. Also, it's really difficult to set the correct pitches with those sliders. They are not calibrated very well. I found that the best way to get exact pitches from it is to feed into the EHX V256 with pitch correction. I haven't tried connecting the new reissue 8 Step Sequencer yet, but that is coming soon.

I've also connected the DRM 16 which has a clock input, but I had little success. I might be doing something incorrect, so I'll have to keep experimenting later. The clock output also allows you to use the DRM 15, 16, and 32 as the source clock for the Clockworks, which is pretty cool because you can then add the modular drums on top of the existing DRM patterns.

I have a Sonic Boomer and a Super Space Drum, so I'll get around to playing with those later.

:staticphil:

0144629a877cdb0203725039344fa37f.jpg.b8d51a45395e6a28c38d16f6f159b40f.jpg

• Members

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

A question for you guys.

Is there a cost-effective way to convert an analog clock to a MIDI clock ?

I ask because it would be really great to be able to sync the Clockworks to the EHX 2880, 4400, or the 16secDD.

Or is there a workaround that would be just as effective?

Archived