sound dilemma or not? u also have?

t_e_l_e

• Members

as playing lately a stereo setup it got me thinking:

no matter which amp i play (of my 4 very different tube amps i have)

nor which dirt pedal i use (fuzzes, muffs, ts9, boosters overdrives, distortion....),

i always turn the knobs until i have a sound my ears like.

but it seems finally it always sounds the same.

thats a good thing or? no matter what gear you use, you can dail in your tone?

on the other hand, am i incapable to create/use different distinct sounds?

do my ears not allow to dail any knob out of my ears personal comfort zone to find something else/new?

• Members

Sound quality does influence playing style and vice versa. If for example you have too much drive and its making the notes unclear to your ears you will naturally dial it back till you don't have some much hair in your eyes. The only way to know if you're getting the same sounds is to record and compare because your ears sensitivity level does change a bit up or down on a daily basis.

A musicians emotional level usually affects the tones they dial up as well. When your're alone you're more likely to be calm and speak in calm tones. You'll also like to dial up calmer guitar tones where you can hear every detail. Ever notice when you're at a party, peoples voices raise up. Not only to be heard over others, but to express their happy emotions telling stories and making others laugh and feel good.

Same things happen to a musician when he's playing with others. Making loud noises and using "dynamics" is the key to expressing emotional content of your music.

This increased expression is what makes your music sound different then when you're playing solo. Again if you're in a crowd speaking in cool calm tones and everyone else is excited and talking loud and proud, its unlikely people will hear a word you say. The tones you dial up live will likely be much more expanded having less drive and more volume so you have some punch to your notes. This is because you have to carve out a unique space between those other players be heard equally.

If for example your solo sound matches the frequencies the drummer has his snare tuned to, you'll wind up being masked by his voice so you will naturally dial down frequencies he's using and dial up others that make you clearly heard. Same thing on the bass end. If you have the wrong bass frequencies dialed up and your chords are having a fist fight with the bass player's frequency range, you'll naturally shift them so you have space, a boundary between the two.

The surprising thing is, what you wind up with usually has enough of your own tones left you don't even notice those tweaks and neither does anyone else. This is because your playing style trumps everything. Then when you take your gear home and play solo you find you have scooped mids and rolled off bass which sounds unnatural. So you crank the bass up a bit to make up for the bass player that's no longer there and crank the mids because there's no vocals or snare obstructing you from boosting those frequencies.

• Members

On the other hand I like my chanccs for this years BOTB.

and i had a serious question, cause i really think i always dial i the same sound no matter what gear i use, and i think it becomes boring

i want to use more fuzz for fuzz use but my ears always say no....

Archived